Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Help deciding on 2 casios  (Read 297 times)

Offline seba.pcueva

• PS Silver Member
Help deciding on 2 casios
on: January 18, 2023, 03:15:36 AM
Hi guys!

So it's been almost 7 days and still can't decide which one to get.

I'm buying a used one, and after checking on my local market, I've come to this two final options:

Casio CDP-230R and Casio PX-160

I've studied a lot about these two, but the cons and pros are identical for what I need/want.
Here's my list (pros+, cons-)

CDP230:
+ 700 sounds
+ Sampler and mic input
+ More recording time
- Piano sounds not the best
- Polyphony 48 (big deal I think)

PX160:
+ Action and keys
+128 Polyphony
+ Comes with stand and better pedal
+ Best sound (AiR)
- Few sounds
- No audio input
- The owner says it fell from the stand, landed on his feet, it's a bit scratched on the back (don't know if I should worry)

Things to consider about me:
I'm a music producer and began to learn piano a year ago. The recording feature on cdp230 is not a big deal, but it's a nice-to-have so you can compose licks or quick songs without having to turn on the PC and setup everything
I also have an upright piano at home.
I really liked all the sounds on Px160, and Polyphony is something that worries me. For example, why do I even want 700 sounds with recorder and all, if I'm only going to be able to play 48 notes at the time?

I know these are too many factors to consider, and you can't tell what's best for me just by reading this, but if you can give me a rough opinion (if you played on any of these, even better) you would be helping me a lot!

Thank you for taking the time to read,
S.

Offline martinn

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help deciding on 2 casios
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 12:05:32 PM
You may grow to hate the keyboard action and feel confident with hammer action...

So it went for me.

Sounds can be had a million with midi out and a computer.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert