Piano Forum

A Sudden Chat with Paul Lewis about Beethoven & Schubert
Substituting for the suddenly indisposed Janine Jensen, pianist Paul Lewis shares his ideas on his global Schubert project, classical repertoire focus and views on titans Beethoven vs. Schubert. Read more >>

Topic: Key Release Noise on Yamaha YPG-625 Keyboard  (Read 485 times)

Offline kitjv26

• PS Silver Member
Key Release Noise on Yamaha YPG-625 Keyboard
on: February 21, 2023, 10:09:08 PM
A few months ago I acquired a used Yamaha YPG-625 digital keyboard. When any of the keys are released, they make an irritating "clunking" sound when they return to their original position. There is a strip of felt between the keys themselves & the part of the keyboard where the pivot end of the keys make contact upon release. I assume that these contact points are the source of the "clunking" sound. However, without disassembling the keyboard, I do not know for sure.

This "clunking" sound is the same for all of the keys. Therefore, I am assuming that the felt interface is not the culprit. If it were, it seems that the keys that have been played most frequently would create the loudest "clunk". Since this keyboard is the only one with which I am familiar, I am wondering if this issue is characteristic of digital keyboards in general, especially those in the lower price range.

Any information that you can offer would be most appreciated. Ideally, some of you might have addressed this problem with a DIY fix.

Thank you so much.

Kit

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Key Release Noise on Yamaha YPG-625 Keyboard
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 12:17:10 AM
I can not speak to this particular model digital piano.  However, I have observed that many digital pianos make clunking sounds.  It is most prominent when the volume slider is turned down, and the volume output is much lower that what would be expected from playing an acoustic piano with similar key velocity.  Another scenario would be when the pianist uses headphones, and the clunking sounds are noticed by other people in the room. 

Before doing something move invasive such as opening up your digital piano, I'd suggest trying to find another digital piano of the same model to compare.  Another option, is to ask another pianist that is familiar with this model to play your own digital piano. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline kitjv26

• PS Silver Member
Re: Key Release Noise on Yamaha YPG-625 Keyboard
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 08:07:19 PM
Quantum, thank you for the response. Your points are well-taken. Unfortunately, the keyboard is relatively old, therefore, trying to locate another one for comparison would be difficult. However, I plan to check with a local Yamaha keyboard dealer in town for his/her thoughts. But the first thing that I want to do is to take a thin piece of felt & temporarily slip it between several keys & the existing felt material that was part of the assembly of the keyboard. If that reduces the clunking sound, I could disassemble the keyboard & permanently adhere a new felt strip.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert