Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Music College  (Read 239 times)

Offline sdphins

• PS Silver Member
Music College
on: February 23, 2023, 02:26:37 PM
Hi all,

I'm a senior in high school and recently auditioned for music colleges, I've narrowed it down to the Butler School of Music at UT Austin, the Herb Alpert school at UCLA, UNC-Chapel Hill, and University of Florida. I was wondering what you guys think of these programs, if you've heard good or bad things about any of them, I'm all ears. Also do you guys believe it matters where you go for music, the glitz/glam of a brand name conservatory seems to spring from attracting the most passionate, talented, and hard working students and perhaps not so much from them doing anything special on their end. I may be wrong though, it's just a thought. Anyways, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Happy Thursday!

Offline ego0720

• PS Silver Member
Re: Music College
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 07:38:33 PM
Networking is the number one reason for the colleges you go to.  It will have some correlation to the quality of your education but ultimately you get out what you put in (ie: up to the student). It's more a reflection of the pool of student body you are affiliated with but when you leave you control your destiny.  Having that said, the significance of where you go to has been marginalized with the the access to information and people these days.  Compared to 30 years ago when music was esoteric.. as long as you are resourceful if you have serious talent it will be recognized regardless of where you go.  But having network with important people are tools for your growth as well.  In today's age.. you need ONE thing that separates you.  That one thing isn't limited to the school you come from.

Sorry if that answer is roundabout. If you want a short answer, I personally don't think it matters.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert