Piano Forum

A Free Grand Piano? – Scammers Target Piano Enthusiasts
If you’re in the market for a piano, be cautious of a new scam that’s targeting music lovers, businesses, schools, and churches. Scammers are offering “free” pianos but with hidden fees that can add up to hundreds of dollars and, as you may have guessed, the piano will never be delivered. Read more >>

Topic: Should I tune my piano?  (Read 450 times)

Offline chrism05

• PS Silver Member
Should I tune my piano?
on: March 15, 2023, 07:09:11 AM
Hello everyone! I have been playing for 9 years, and I have always gotten my piano tuned by an experienced tuner. Since it would save a lot of money, how feasible it would be to learn how to tune a piano myself with a tuning kit? Is there any risk that I could damage my pianos? I have an old 1920s upright and a 1960s grand. Please let me know what you all think!

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Should I tune my piano?
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 07:27:17 PM
I was curious about this too since I have been thinking about tuning my own grand. Apparently it's pretty difficult and requires a lot of training to do well, you can clearly break stuff if you are careless: https://findyourmelody.com/can-i-tune-my-own-piano/

Hope that helps!

Offline cassidybole

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 05:28:40 AM
Attempting to tune a piano without proper training can pose a risk of damaging the instrument, especially for valuable and older pianos like your 1920s upright and 1960s grand. The delicate internal components of the piano can be easily damaged if not handled correctly. Additionally, improper tuning can result in the piano sounding out of tune or may cause further issues that require costly repairs.

To ensure the best possible outcome and to protect the integrity of your pianos, it is advisable to leave the tuning to a qualified piano tuner who can provide the necessary expertise and care for your instruments.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 01:03:10 AM
It's not that hard to get a given string tuned to the right pitch.  Setting that pin so it stays at that pitch takes as much skill as playing the piano very well.  Tuners earn their fees. 

There are also thousands of parts that need adjustment or repair - but not all tuners do that anyway so it's not as much of a factor.

Tuning as an exercise in mastering a new skill is always worth it.  But tuning to save money is not viable.  IMO of course.   
Tim
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert