Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: What to play after Chopin's Waltz Op. 64 no. 2?  (Read 458 times)

Offline chopinowski

• PS Silver Member
What to play after Chopin's Waltz Op. 64 no. 2?
on: April 13, 2023, 04:45:19 PM
Hi there, it's my first time posting here, sorry in advance for any mistakes I might have made.

I've been studying piano for some time now, and I somehow managed to play Chopin's Waltz Op. 64 no. 2 decently within five days. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding what to play after.

For some background, some of my best achievements are Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata mvt. 3 and Chopin's Nocturne 9 no. 2. I took a year-long break after accomplishing both these pieces, and decided to hop back in the piano world after having taken a liking towards Chopin.

The pieces I'm currently trying to learn are Chopin's Ballade no. 1, Grande Valse Brilliante, and several other etudes, which I am barely able to continue as I feel that they are very difficult for my level.

What piece should I learn after the Waltz in order to maintain and improve my progress?

Offline franks66

• PS Silver Member
Re: What to play after Chopin's Waltz Op. 64 no. 2?
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 05:26:04 PM
Hi
The coda of the Ballade is very challenging if you didn't practise that special right hand technique before.

I would consider a selection of some preludes of chopins op 28.
A classmate  of mine played the whole set a he said he has never had so much benefit before (technically and musically).
Just choose a variety of techniques and expressions.

Good luck

Offline danesi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 05:39:14 PM
To put it frankly, Chopin’s Ballade is in a whole other world than Nocturne 9.2. I don’t doubt your claim of playing Moonlight 3, but I slightly doubt that you were able to get it up to a concert or recording level. My advice is to definitely wait on the Ballade, and focus on other pieces. You could try Debussy’s Voiles Prelude for a nice Impressionistic piece, or Bach’s Prelude and Fugue in C Minor (WTC 1) for a good exercise in steadiness and counterpoint. If you really want a challenge, stick with Grande Valse Brillante. Good luck,
       Danesi
Play piano. It is groovy!
Bach-Busoni > Bach-Brahms ;)

Offline truecam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 03:55:13 PM
danesi

I have known a few people who are completely self taught and have learned exceptionally difficult pieces up to performance level, Chopin Ballade being one of them. I don't personally buy into the idea that someone can't do something, I just think there is a certain percentage of people who aren't going to. I mean bernstein is an exceptional pianist and was self taught (mostly).

Offline danesi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 05:21:55 PM
Truecam,

I completely agree. There are wonderful self-taught pianists with excellent technique, tone, and musicality. I probably should have phrased my upper response more clearly: I’m not saying the Ballade is impossible, just improbable. Anything can be played to perfection if you grind at it long enough, even Feux Follets. But the amount of time it takes to get there can differ depending on if one has mastered the steps it takes to get there. My piece recommendations still stand as a stepping stone to reaching a height like Ballade no. 1, but (I agree with you,) any piece can be mastered if you are willing to put the necessary work in.
Play piano. It is groovy!
Bach-Busoni > Bach-Brahms ;)

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 09:52:41 PM
Truecam,

I completely agree. There are wonderful self-taught pianists with excellent technique, tone, and musicality. I probably should have phrased my upper response more clearly: I’m not saying the Ballade is impossible, just improbable. Anything can be played to perfection if you grind at it long enough, even Feux Follets. But the amount of time it takes to get there can differ depending on if one has mastered the steps it takes to get there. My piece recommendations still stand as a stepping stone to reaching a height like Ballade no. 1, but (I agree with you,) any piece can be mastered if you are willing to put the necessary work in.

You make a good point. You can learn so much more playing many pieces of gradually increasing difficulty, than learn from slogging away at one difficult piece for months or years.

Offline chopinowski

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 02:55:37 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I’m currently continuing Grand Valse Brilliante to make up a challenge for myself.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert