Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Brahms op117/3  (Read 1713 times)

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Brahms op117/3
on: February 17, 2005, 05:32:55 PM
Hi guys have any of you played this austere work

Offline krenske

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brahms op117/3
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 09:41:19 PM
Yes but i wouldnt describe it as "austere".

Id have to say its my favourite brahms, even better than that lovely 118
"Horowitz died so Krenske could live."

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 12:25:36 PM
maybe bleak then? those 8ves are not warm and lush if you see what I mean its quite withdrawn and 'desolate' maybe? anyway Your opinions please about technical musical or interpretive issues. Its a fascinating piece!

Offline paris

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 03:32:02 PM
i'm playing it currently. very difficult to make legato without pedal with those octaves in left hand
Critics! If one would be a critic, one should begin with self-criticism !
    -Franz Liszt

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 08:02:28 PM
my teacher suggests some fingering which means alternating the 8ve so not so tight. I don't see why you couldn't use some pedal in the opening - im sure its allowed but maybe not the full depth of the pedal?

Offline rodrk352

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 04:45:57 AM
   "Austere," "bleak," "mournful," yes, all those descriptions fit this piece. It is, as the Germans say, full of "sehnsucht," longing. The melody comes in sotto voce, hushed. To me it sounds like a prayer-- I think of a convocation of monks, their faces concealed behind hooded robes. The second section, dolce, sounds like a fleeting memory of happier times.
    Of these works Brahms said that even one listener is too many. It's meant to be played at home, not in the concert hall, where crashing applause after the last bar would be out of place, like the obtrusive sound of people applauding a prayer.

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 06:45:34 PM
Oh dear - i hope in a way that someone does applaud but i dont mid if they wait a bit because i agree with you that to break the atmosphere would kind of spoil it they leave an inprint on your memory these pieces - there really quite searching. did you play the other two in the set? 8)

Offline rodrk352

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 08:34:52 PM
The first piece is a cradle song. The theme always reminds me of a Christmas carol,  "The First Noel". "The first Noel the angels did say in search of poor shepherds in fields where they lay."

At the top of the score is an epigraph, two lines from a Scottish Shepherd's folk song.

I have trouble playing the second part, getting the timing right. It is molte expressivo, and the sound is supposed to rise and fall. The soft breathing of a baby? That's a stretch, but in any case the passage takes practice. I basically murmur it, because playing it too loud would be out of place in a cradle song. 

The second piece sounds like a dark and wistful love song, a piece of nostalgia like Grieg's lyric piece where he rewrote a waltz from his early 20's at the end of his life. The piece sounds like an extended sigh, until the arpeggios cease and there's a fermata. Then a second theme arrives that throbs like a declaration of love. We hear the same theme at the end, another "Ich liebe dich," and then darkness again.

The third intermezzo, as I implied before, sounds to me like monks chanting a Requiem. So we get the three stages of life in the Opus 117: birth, romance, and death. I hope you get plenty of applause at the end of it
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert