Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Is anyone familiar with Mendelssohns 2nd Piano concerto?  (Read 293 times)

Offline hichew

• PS Silver Member
Hello, first post here so I have no clue if I'm doing things right

I'm going to learn a new concerto movement to try to do a competition that my city's orchestra holds each year, and lately I've really enjoyed listening to Mendelssohn's second piano concerto so I want to try the first movement, but I'm not entirely sure if it's within my abilities. I'm going to bring it up with my teacher but I kinda don't want to look stupid if it happens to be way above my skill level lol.

I'd put myself somewhere in low-advanced ish, pieces I've done this year:
- Rachmaninoff prelude op 23 no 5
- Beethoven Tempest Sonata, first movement
- Mendelssohn 1st Piano concerto, first movement -- did this last year for the same competition

Concerto movements my teacher has suggested would be at my level
- Grieg, first movement
- Beethoven 3rd concerto, third movement
- Mendelssohn 1st concerto, third movement

If anyone could give a difficulty rating for the first movement of Mendelssohn's 2nd piano concerto, possibly relative to one of the above mentioned pieces, that would be much appreciated  ;D

this is completely unrelated, but it took me so many tries to get the verification right since I kept getting letters wrong, did I unknowingly turn into a robot????