Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chromatic scales in different keys  (Read 244 times)

Offline rtheunissen

• PS Silver Member
Chromatic scales in different keys
on: May 28, 2023, 10:11:11 AM
Dear all,

Is there a specific way to write chromatic scales? For example, how do you write an E chromatic scale? Or an E-flat chromatic scale? Since some notes are already either sharp or flat. I've heard that you must use as few accidentals as possible, but is there a specific way to do so, or not?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Chromatic scales in different keys
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2023, 03:58:53 PM
I feel like I have a good intuition around this, but it's difficult to explain properly. It would be easier to demonstrate if I was given a couple of specific scenarios.

Generally, if you currently are in a key with many sharps, you would typically not use flats when spelling the scale. And vice versa.

Whether you use sharp, flats, naturals or double sharps/flats, depends to some degree on the harmonic context, whether certain notes in the scale can be seen as leading tones to a following chord tone etc, at least in typical classical/romantic music. In other words, using accidentals the way they are typically used in that key. For example, it would look wrong to me to use a lot of flats in a chromatic scale when you are playing around in a minor. Using as few accidentals as possible is a decent rule of thumb.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2023, 04:49:27 PM
How many chromatic scales are there?  I was thinking just two (like whole tone scales). 
Tim

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 01:09:54 AM
How many chromatic scales are there?  I was thinking just two (like whole tone scales).
I'd say either one or twelve, depending on how you count.

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 01:39:52 AM
I'd say either one or twelve, depending on how you count.
You forget Cb and E#, that makes 14 ;)

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 01:13:40 PM
If you're counting scale number by interval, I guess there's only one, unlike a whole tone scale where there are two.

But if you're counting by fingering changes, then it does make a difference where you start. 
Tim
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert