Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Tempi in Schumann's Kinderszenen  (Read 1491 times)

Offline rtheunissen

• PS Silver Member
Tempi in Schumann's Kinderszenen
on: June 30, 2023, 10:31:40 PM
Dear all,

One of the goals I've set for myself this coming summer is to learn the complete set of Schumann's Kinderszenen. The only thing I can't seem to find a definitive answer to is the tempi. I know that Schumann himself was quite strict about playing in time and also that (too much) rubato doesn't really fit the idea he had. However, at what tempo should the pieces be played? I've looked at both the first and last piece today, but the metronome markings in the Henle edition for both pieces are way faster than anything I've heard in recordings (and faster than how I personally like them).

What are your ideas about it?

Kind regards.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Tempi in Schumann's Kinderszenen
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 12:56:51 PM
I agree that Schumann's metronome markings are strangely quick in this. Generally, when a composer puts a metronome marking that seems way too hurried to me, I interpret it as "don't linger", i e, not too ponderous, don't play this too slow and labored, but keep it flowing at a pace that gives it a nice forward momentum in the phrases. Sort of like the composer writes a too fast marking as a psychological trick, they know you'll find it too fast and slow down a bit, but still making it more likely that you'll stay in a faster tempo than you otherwise would have picked.

I generally ignore the metronome markings and pick tempi that feel to me like they give the music a nice, natural flow.

I would advice you to listen to some great Schumann interpreters and see which tempi they picked, and ponder why.

Offline rtheunissen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 03:23:55 PM
Thanks for the response,

I think that that's quite an interesting idea. I just noticed that my score of Chopin's Mazurka Op. 17 No. 4 also has a strangely quick tempo marking of 'quarter note = 152'. Why they don't just give a precise marking seems weird to me as they are already choosing to give a metronome marking instead of just a tempo indication such as lento or presto... but your idea still makes sense to me, thanks!

I've definitely looked at some recordings of the greats and I think that I now have a good tempo for the pieces that I've already learned. I just wanted to know if it's something you can just do because composers like Schumann were quite serious about playing in time and all that.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 10:58:51 PM
It is indeed strange, and I don't *actually* know why they did it, it's just how I have chosen to deal with the problem! And I feel it works quite well.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 03:44:14 PM
Here is a short blog on the music publisher henle's website regarding Schumann's metronome markings: https://www.henle.de/en/music-column/schumann-anniversary-2010/schumann-anniversary/schumanns-metronome-markings-a-bother-or-a-benefit/
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert