Piano Forum

Body and Intention – Tracking Down Musicians’ Health
It is easy to take piano playing and musicianship for granted but most people have experienced physical tension and strain while practicing. The American pianist, pedagogue, and researcher Dr. Kathleen Riley has spent many years developing a method called Optimal Performance, scanning pianists’ bodies using electrodes. In a Masterclass with students and pianist Garrick Ohlsson as test subjects at San Francisco International Piano Festival last fall, we get a chance to see how the method works in action. Read more >>

Topic: Spotify for Classical Music  (Read 119 times)

Offline rys928

• PS Silver Member
Spotify for Classical Music
on: November 16, 2023, 01:30:36 PM
I use Spotify and something that has always annoyed me is the lack of consistency in the way classical music is organized on the platform. To put it simply, major music services are not built for the classical listener.
Luckily, some companies (Apple, and Idagio) have sought to alleviate the pain in better or worse ways. For those of us who continue to use Spotify, there isn't any way to get around this.

For a class, I exported random tracks from Spotify and ran them through data-cleaning processes to standardize the spelling and format for composers and track names. For those of you not familiar with Spotify URIs, they are specific identifying IDs for tracks and albums. You can use the URI to go straight to a specific track by using the search bar (for example search spotify:track:78oFMCjLNsIMG4n6iYyucj , it will bring you a Beethoven Sonata). Some of the code has to be cleaned up.

When applied to a large scale, something of this nature could make using Spotify more friendly to the Classical listener if built into their platform on a larger scale. It would help keep data clean. (For example, track names will no longer vary and have tracks listed as "Beethoven Symphony No. 3...", "Symphonie No.3...", "Eroica, Symphony No. 3...", or "Klemperer conducts Symphony No.3...". In addition, composers and performers would not share the same "artist" label and be split. The result would be that every track on the platform would have a standardized page for the composer, performers, and track names for each piece.

Let me know what you think about these ideas, based on the small sample provided!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/109dAsl3jooL54IoRcrAbOOV3CDsO9U_Z/view?usp=sharing

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Re: Spotify for Classical Music
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 05:50:58 PM

Probably AI will be there before you can complete your project. It will be solved in the relatively near future.

R,
G.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert