Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: beethoven op.7  (Read 1540 times)

Offline paris

• PS Silver Member
beethoven op.7
on: February 20, 2005, 03:40:56 PM
hey!

i have problems with those broken octaves, and broken chords, when i'm playing it, i lose tempo. my arm parlyse and i'm slower and slower...
if someone knows how to deal with it i'd aprecciate

Critics! If one would be a critic, one should begin with self-criticism !
    -Franz Liszt

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Re: beethoven op.7
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 04:06:46 PM
hey!

i have problems with those broken octaves, and broken chords, when i'm playing it, i lose tempo. my arm parlyse and i'm slower and slower...
if someone knows how to deal with it i'd aprecciate

When I played this piece years ago I used a somewhat high wrist for the broken octaves. Also, you should be so relaxed that the muscles in your upper arm shake when you play these (not from tension, from looseness).
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 04:57:49 AM
For the broken octaves,
You need to practice them like your whole arm is rotating. Don't even necessarily look to hit the notes, just get the motion down. Also, play a note with your thumb, rotate your arm so that your palm is practically facing the ceiling, while still holding the note, then rotate around to the note with the pinky and rotate to the right until your palm is practically facing the ceiling, while still holding the note. Keep going back forth slowly, this is the motion needed. Also, build up to the actual length of the octaves. First play three notes in quick secession. Pause, repeat. Then go to four. Then five, then six, then seven, then eight, and you have your first set of B-flats.

For the broken chords,
Play the first note with your thumb, then play the next two notes with an arm portato- your fingers not working at all. This will show you the motion needed to center your weight on each note, the only way to get an even tone. And practice each chord seperately, with the motion you got from the arm portato.

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 02:58:28 PM
Practice leaning on the thumb notes and getting them in time at a slower tempo and then do circular practice speeding it up gradually and you will loose the accent (not a hard one) as you get quicker and it will keep the passage rhythmic and it will feel in control even in performance. Definately take the passage out though and practice with dotted rhythms and stops (like a group of 4 ?and 6 - its been a while?) to clarify split passage into metrical beats then pause on the first then run as fast as you can to your next stop place. When you can do that with the whole passage split into small groups expand the group to twice the size until you end up playing one bar then pause and expand to two bars etc... it really works (make sure every note in the group is clear though - for this all the above suggestions will help) :D ;) Good luck ! its a demanding little beast!!!! ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert