Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Can I play Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 with small hands?  (Read 364 times)

Offline pianoblitz

• PS Silver Member
Hi, I'd really like to play Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, however my hands are quite small. I can reach an octave comfortably with both hands and just about 9th's but that's a stretch. Any advice??

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Can I play Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 with small hands?
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 03:54:44 PM
Try it.

If you can do everything in the score comfortably keep going.

If you at some point discover that you can't, if possible refine your technique until you can, else drop the piece and move on with your life.

Offline dedalus89

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 04:36:29 PM
Why don't they make pianos of different sizes? Like 10% smaller, 3/4 size, whatever.  The keys don't make the they're just mechanical levers so they could look like literally anything and it would still work exactly the same. I wonder why there aren't different shaped keys even while I'm thinking about it

Offline pianoblitz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 04:57:41 PM
Why don't they make pianos of different sizes? Like 10% smaller, 3/4 size, whatever.  The keys don't make the they're just mechanical levers so they could look like literally anything and it would still work exactly the same. I wonder why there aren't different shaped keys even while I'm thinking about it

Then people who try playing on different piano's would have trouble. Like when you go to a concert room, they can't have 10 different piano's stored up and then choose the best size to suit the performer... It's probably more practicable in the long term for everything to be standardized even though it would help to have different sizes on a personal level

Offline dedalus89

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 05:04:39 PM
Small hands seems like a common enough issue it could be reasonable to have just the 2. A regular one and one with a smaller keyboard.  I asked some friends and it seems that there are companies who make smaller keyless l keyboards that can be switched out. Come to think of it, why not manufacture pianos standard to have modular keyboards where switching out keyboards is only an inconvenience nothing more. I don't know how those would be built but that's an engineering problem, smart people would figure it out! In the end I'm not a pianist so I'm pretty ignorant about the practicalities of playing, and my questions are completely genuinely out of curiosity because I don't know

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 10:34:07 PM

Because the ROI is terrible. The main market for pianos are Westerners and East Asians (Koreans, Japanese, Chinese). The vast majority of adults in these populations can comfortably hit a 9th, which is more than enough for 98% of the standard repertoire for piano music.

There's no point in mass producing specialized pianos for smaller hands for a small portion of the population.

Offline dedalus89

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 05:47:58 AM
I mean the variation of hand size fits along a standard variation with most of the people in the middle and with decreasingly fewer people on either side. The point being that 50% of the world has larger hands than the other 50%, and we're not even talking about sex, since women have on average much smaller hands. It seems to me that two sizes, one for the smaller half and one for the larger half, would create enough of a market. Exactly divide the sizes such that about half of the market will want one, and half the other. Get your research guys on it (I'm talking to the companies). Any excuse beyond that is just because the poor companies would like to make more money and it's cheaper to make a large amount of the same exact model. This is also why all pianos sound the same today.

Offline ravelfan07

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 04:24:09 PM
Hi, I'd really like to play Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, however my hands are quite small. I can reach an octave comfortably with both hands and just about 9th's but that's a stretch. Any advice??
I did a little bit of Lassan and in the intro your right hand has to reach from f sharp to g sharp, can you comfortably do that?
Amateur pianist and composer(will show works soon)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert