Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: How did Trifonov learnt the complete Chopin Op25 in 2 weeks?  (Read 823 times)

Offline rovis77

• PS Silver Member
How did Trifonov learnt the complete Chopin Op25 etudes in 2 weeks?. That is astonishing

Offline liszt-and-the-galops

• PS Silver Member
Re: How did Trifonov learnt the complete Chopin Op25 in 2 weeks?
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 01:17:59 PM
Sorry, WHAT? I haven't heard of Trifonov, but I highly doubt that he was able to do that. However, I'm not going to make judgement calls like that. So, can I have some background as to who this guy is? (It would make a lot more sense if he had just come off of finishing, say, Petrushka or Gaspard de la Nuit.)
Amateur pianist, beginning composer, conqueror of the Last post wins thread, creator of the Musical Madness tournament (2024).

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 03:08:47 PM
I mean if he already had all the technique he needed plus some to spare it might be possible. I thought Liszt sightread Op. 10?

What I have heard is that he learned the etudes 6 months before the competition.

Offline glerzhus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 04:07:35 PM
sightreading pieces like that is hard to believe enough as it is much less learning 12 pieces in 14 days.  i just don't believe the brain is capable of doing that no matter who you are.  maybe he re-learned them all in 2 weeks for a performance? i could believe that maybe but sounds risky lol

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 05:21:48 PM
This might be of some interest where I talked about my 3 week experience studying all 24 etudes under Roger Woodward who did the same (actually I strongly believe he did it in 2 weeks) under the guidance of his teacher Zbigniew Drzewiecki. For my journey this wasn't mastering all of them but being able to get the hands around them all.

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=16476.0
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline glerzhus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 05:36:02 PM
yeah i can agree that getting a feel for them is also totally possible but when i hear the word learn i just think of it as to be able to play it all from memory(doesn't have to be at tempo)

Offline glerzhus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 05:57:03 PM
well after reading that topic i just don't know anymore haha.  i'll just have to give it a try for myself sometime.  although i'll be cheating a lil bit given that i already learned some of them  :P

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2023, 06:20:15 PM
Memorizing them all in two weeks sounds doable. Even though there are a lot of notes, they follow mostly very common harmonical patterns. You can memorize quite big chunks at a time if your theory and memorization approach is solid. Take Winter Wind, one bar can either be a gazillion notes to remember or a simple scale and chord pattern depending on how you look at it. A lot of the figuration is also simple chorale/voice leading things made into broken chords and understanding this makes things easier to remember.

The Etudes are also something you'll have heard quite often as a piano student so you get an advantage from that as well, you probably have a fairly good idea of "how they go" even if you haven't played them.

Mastering the technical issues in two weeks is the hard part unless you already got very solid technique.

Offline roboute guilliman cfa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 19, 2023, 07:12:08 PM
 I think he's absolutely capable of this but the circumstances are suspect. He had to both not learn any of these etudes in his youth which already strains belief since everyone plays these etudes, then he has to also choose to learn them a few weeks before the Arthur Rubinstein competition, which is where he gave the interview where he said this. Most players of his level are choosing pieces they've been playing for year(s).

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 12:01:47 AM
How did Trifonov learnt the complete Chopin Op25 etudes in 2 weeks?. That is astonishing

because he started when he was little, has above average talent by large degree and already mastered required technique when he started it. Add a probably great teacher, a great memory on top and there you go.

Kr,
G

Offline pianistavt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2024, 02:05:19 AM

I googled this topic and found nothing - only the same question in Piano World.  Probably the same author.  What's your source for this "info"?  Trifonov probably knew most of the Chopin Etudes by age 16, so it's a rather ridiculous statement.

Offline rovis77

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 10, 2024, 04:37:24 AM
I googled this topic and found nothing - only the same question in Piano World.  Probably the same author.  What's your source for this "info"?  Trifonov probably knew most of the Chopin Etudes by age 16, so it's a rather ridiculous statement.

Here is the source
https://interlude.hk/daniil-trifonov-sergei-babayan-deep-love-music-sets-apart/

Offline pianistavt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 05:15:57 PM
Here is the source
https://interlude.hk/daniil-trifonov-sergei-babayan-deep-love-music-sets-apart/

Thanks for the citation.  Still, even though his piano teacher supposedly said this, I'm skeptical.  Is it likely a young prodigy who began studying at age 5 and attended the Gnessin School of Music at age 9, didn't know any of the Op 25 etudes before the Rubinstein Competition in 2011 when he was 20 years old?  I'd say Very Unlikely!  More likely she said something like "he got them memorized and up to performance level in two weeks", and the reporter made it sound more spectacular.

But if you enjoy spectacular mental feats by performers and composers, there are plenty out there.

Offline rovis77

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 04, 2024, 02:01:35 PM
Thanks for the citation.  Still, even though his piano teacher supposedly said this, I'm skeptical.  Is it likely a young prodigy who began studying at age 5 and attended the Gnessin School of Music at age 9, didn't know any of the Op 25 etudes before the Rubinstein Competition in 2011 when he was 20 years old?  I'd say Very Unlikely!  More likely she said something like "he got them memorized and up to performance level in two weeks", and the reporter made it sound more spectacular.

Yes, it is very weird that he had not studied any of the Chopin Op 25 etudes at that point in his life...

But if you enjoy spectacular mental feats by performers and composers, there are plenty out there.

It is very weird that he had not played any of toe Chopin Op 25 etudes up to that point in his life...

Offline rovis77

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 04, 2024, 02:04:22 PM
It is very weird that he had not played any of tfe Chopin Op 25 etudes up to that point in his life...

Offline hodi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: February 12, 2024, 09:38:35 PM
and how richter learned by heart the whole well tempered clavier in 1 month? some people are geniuses.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert