Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 16 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by sixteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: How could I get my recordings published by the Deutsche Grammephone?  (Read 3570 times)

Offline the_franzliszt

• PS Silver Member
I was wondering where I could get my recordings professionally done at and where I could get them published (CD wise)?

I want to publish a CD called: A Trip Across the Pacific, with all sorts of Russian Compositions that I know such as:

Russian Song for Piano Op.107 No.3 in G Major - Beethoven
Russian Song for Piano Op.107 No.7 in A Minor - Beethoven
Etude in D Sharp Minor Op.8 No.12 - Scriabin
Etude in C Sharp Minor Op.2 No.1 - Scriabin
Prelude in C Sharp Minor Op.3 No.2 - Rachmaninoff
Prelude in G minor Op.32 No.5 - Rachmaninoff
Prelude in E Flat minor Op.34 No.14 - Shostakovich

Offline roboute guilliman cfa

• PS Silver Member
Win a couple minor international competitions or be a finalist of a big one, then you should be able to get an agent and get a contract with a recording label like DG.

Online transitional

• PS Silver Member
Win a couple minor international competitions or be a finalist of a big one, then you should be able to get an agent and get a contract with a recording label like DG.
This.

Honestly, though, why do you need a Deutsche Gramophone CD for yourself? If you're not professional, the quality doesn't really matter. You can get a decent-sounding audio system for a couple hundred dollars on Amazon and then self-publishing if you really want to.
last 3 schubert sonatas and piano trios are something else

Offline the_franzliszt

• PS Silver Member
I really don't want to try to self publish it myself, I would rather just get someone like sony or DG to do it.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
I really don't want to try to self publish it myself, I would rather just get someone like sony or DG to do it.

It sounds like you think it would be easier to get Sony or DG to do it than to self publish, but I think it's the other way around. Unless you are doing well in competitions, have an agent who could help you get a recording contract etc.

There are also tons of smaller labels with a lower barrier to entry but who of course don't have the same marketing power or reach as the large ones. But DG/Sony marketing you assumes they think you are marketable i e you are someone like Trifonov, Kissin etc.

Offline the_franzliszt

• PS Silver Member
Definitely not at the Trifonov, Evgeny Kissin level yet haha. But I have done some smaller minor competitions, but I don't know if those would be able to get me an agent.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Look for smaller labels, perhaps locally, and see what they charge and if they are willing to work with you. Recording may not even have to be done via the label but could be done independently with a studio. I even know some people who can bring recording equipment to wherever you have an instrument available and record not too expensively. That's typically people fresh out of college as recording/producer people. Probably not gonna be as slick as in a proper studio/concert hall. Just get some quotes and see what budget you need for the level you are aiming for.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert