Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: What is Harder overall... Fantasie Impromptu OR Hungarian Rhapsody No. 6  (Read 3170 times)

Offline nerdomo1

• PS Silver Member
I have been deciding (for a while) which one I should go for first. I have been a pianist for around 10 years, and I would like to tackle one of these, but I would just like to know what the people think:

which is harder?

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Hungarian Rhapsody No. 6 because of those octaves.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Hungarian Rhapsody No. 6 because of those octaves.

I concur as well... Fantasie impromptu sounds hard and ferocious, but it's not entirely that hard.
The 6th HR however has to be characteristically compelling with its whimsically different motifs...

...oh yeah - and those bloody octaves for sure.

Offline liszt-and-the-galops

• PS Silver Member
I have been deciding (for a while) which one I should go for first. I have been a pianist for around 10 years, and I would like to tackle one of these, but I would just like to know what the people think:

which is harder?
I'm a little surprised that this even came up lol, but there are no bad questions! :)
Having played the F-I, I can say it's a LOT easier than it looks. The octaves and leaps in HR 6, however, are absolutely absurd (on the level of La Campanella, honestly). The F-I is simply much easier.
Hope this helped!
Amateur pianist, beginning composer, creator of the Musical Madness tournament (2024).
https://www.youtube.com/@Liszt-and-the-Galops

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Indeed, Fantaisie-Impromptu is fairly straightforward and comfortable as long as you have a solid technical foundation.

Offline roboute guilliman cfa

• PS Silver Member
There are probably 5x the number of people that can play Fantasie impromptu compared to the rhapsody.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert