Piano Forum

A Sudden Chat with Paul Lewis about Beethoven & Schubert
Substituting for the suddenly indisposed Janine Jensen, pianist Paul Lewis shares his ideas on his global Schubert project, classical repertoire focus and views on titans Beethoven vs. Schubert. Read more >>

Topic: Quentin Kim - Two Sets of Korean Variations  (Read 157 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Quentin Kim - Two Sets of Korean Variations
on: May 23, 2024, 03:20:49 PM
these two sets of variations are both based on Korean folk songs, but are very different pieces.

Variations on an Ancient Korean Melody
i=YdEIMcW5SAgwWcei
Was composed in 2008 and is based on ‘Doraji’ but that tune is cast in the minor key with austere accompaniment. This set is very Classical in nature, with transparent piano writing and classical proportions. It has always been an audience favorite

The Variations in f minor
i=N7iS-sU93C_g9E8y
Start with the tune ‘Hanobaeknyōn’ but also incorporate a hymn from the Korean Catholic hymnal, and a variation based on ‘Arirang’

This set was composed originally for cello and piano in 2015 but this version (not strictly a transcription) was done in 2019. Unusually the theme does not really return at all throughout the entire piece except in fragments. The variations in that sense are not Classical but rather emotional, subjective responses to two themes, the Hanobaeknyōn combined with the hymn.

Both sets have incredible piano writing and engaging harmonies !! Enjoy

Offline frodo4

• PS Silver Member
Re: Quentin Kim - Two Sets of Korean Variations
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2024, 11:53:15 PM
Impeccable playing and musicianship as usual.  This music is new to me but it is instantly appealing.  Outstanding!  Thank you for sharing.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert