Piano Forum

A Massive Glimpse Into Ligeti’s Pianistic Universe
Performing Ligeti’s complete Etudes is a challenge for any pianist. Young pianist Han Chen has received both attention and glowing reviews for his recording of the entire set for Naxos. We had the opportunity to speak with the pianist after his impressive recital at the Piano Experience in Cremona last fall. Read more >>

Topic: How good are first year conservatory students.  (Read 262 times)

Offline fanofmarthaargerich879

• PS Silver Member
How good are first year conservatory students.
on: June 20, 2024, 02:08:28 AM
Hi all. I recently was accepted into a top conservatory and chose to enroll. I am getting major imposter syndrome and I feel as if I am not technically good enough. For my audition I played Bach prelude & fugue in C minor BWV 847, Beethoven sonata in G major no.10, op. 14, Chopin ballade no.1, and Debussy l'isle joyeuse, L. 106. I've not played any of the "difficult" chopin etudes nor have I performed a concerto. Am I crazy or am I behind a little.
Aditionally, I understand that naming the pieces which I played does not in anyway indicate what quality of artist I am. When responding please try to understand that as I write this, I am only concerned about my technique and believe that these pieces - played to a standard which does get one accepted - represent my current technical ability.
I think this might be a very common question for many others so it would be great to hear what the general level of a 1st year conservatory student is.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: How good are first year conservatory students.
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2024, 08:50:46 AM
It truly varies a lot from conservatoire to conservatoire. You'll find that in many conservatories / colleges, far from everyone can blast through all the hard Chopin Etudes. If you were accepted, you are good enough for that school, or you wouldn't have been accepted. Some students are stronger technically, others musically. If your teacher does their job, they'll help you tighten up your technique and work on your weaknesses. Don't worry!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert