Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Grieg too hard?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline zalmanesd

• PS Silver Member
Grieg too hard?
on: March 01, 2005, 04:35:07 AM
I'm thinking of trying the Grieg A-m con.
Previously I have played Mendelsohn's Rondo Caprricioso and Ravel's Sonatine (whole thing).
I want to try a concerto.
Which alternatives do you suggest if its too hard?
(Not Mozart)

Offline Ludwig Van Rachabji

• PS Silver Member
Re: Grieg too hard?
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 05:44:34 AM
What a coincidence. I had just learned the Rondo Capriccioso when I tackled the Grieg. After the Rondo, the Grieg should not be too difficult, so I suggest you give it a try. I assume you have the music. If you don't, go to www.sheetmusicarchive.net and download it to decide for yourself.

Personally, I find the most difficult thing about the Grieg to be, simply, the fact that it's a concerto, therefore, it requires that you know it like the back of your hand in order to be ready to be played with an orchestra, which is really the point of a concerto anyway. For me, the third movement was the most difficult.

I think you'll be able to do it. I learned this as a first concerto when I was 13, so it's not like it's too incredibly difficult.

Good luck!
Music... can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable. Leonard Bernstein

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert