Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Grain alcohol to ease center pins  (Read 4736 times)

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Grain alcohol to ease center pins
on: March 06, 2005, 09:27:19 PM
I've used APSCO center pin lubricant to ease my center pins.  I have no idea what was in it.  Is it grain alcohol or is it a lubricant?

Also, I think my center pin bushings need to be eased so should grain alcohol be the choice?  I've read that Vodka can be used.  And what percentage of alcohol to water should the alcohol need to be to shrink the felt?

Offline rich_galassini

• PS Silver Member
Re: Grain alcohol to ease center pins
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 03:18:22 AM
Also, I think my center pin bushings need to be eased so should grain alcohol be the choice? I've read that Vodka can be used. And what percentage of alcohol to water should the alcohol need to be...

I usually use 4 oz. per martini.  ;)
Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, Pa.
215 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com

Offline westman

• PS Silver Member
Re: Grain alcohol to ease center pins
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 10:27:23 PM
To ease the center pin action I believe the preferred technique is to mix 9 parts denatured alcohol (ethanlo) to one part water, then insert an oversized pin into the bushing, apply the mixture and then let it dry. Remove the oversize pin and reassemble using the correct pin. The mixture is not a lubricant per se.

There are graphite lubricants that are mixed with alcohol, leaving the graphite behind when the alcohol evaporates.

Whether or not vodka can be substituted, I don't know. Although using vodka after the repair will undoubtedly make the piano sound better ;D

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert