Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: when buying a piano...  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
when buying a piano...
on: March 12, 2005, 09:43:13 PM
my parents are finally contemplating getting me a new piano (woohoo!!!) and so they told me to go research it first, so i'm thinking of going to a few piano shops to see what they have. so can anyone give me any tips, like some important questions to ask and stuff? thanks
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Re: when buying a piano...
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 04:37:01 AM
Playing a wide range of pianos and get a better handle of what sort of sound and touch you like is more important than anything else in the early stage of a piano search. Try not to have any pre-concieved notion of what piano you should like and which brand/model of piano should react how. Just play everything you can get your hands on with an open mind.

Try to get a sense of what's available out there, and after visiting a few shops, you'll gradually figure out what you like and what you don't, and you can narrow it down from there and ask more specific questions later.

Don't be shy to politely ask the sales people to leave you alone so you can concentrate on trying out the pianos.

Good luck. :)

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 05:08:30 AM
Where are you?
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline jon-nyc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 08:18:19 AM
my parents are finally contemplating getting me a new piano (woohoo!!!) and so they told me to go research it first, so i'm thinking of going to a few piano shops to see what they have. so can anyone give me any tips, like some important questions to ask and stuff? thanks

Axtremis, as usual, gives great advice.  But it might make sense to get an idea of what your parents budget is, then you'll know only to look at pianos that cost around twice that  ;).

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 10:06:56 PM
thanks people! i'm in sydney, so i think the first place i'll go is theme & variations, which only sells steinways i believe, which are most probably out of my price range but hell i just wanna go play their pianos! but yes i should probably go work out how much i'm allowed to spend haha
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert