Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: review on amazon of book on history of piano  (Read 1617 times)

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
review on amazon of book on history of piano
on: March 16, 2005, 09:01:10 PM
if you type in: giraffes and pianos, you'll get an interesting book review under amazon for 'giraffes, black dragons, and other pianos: a technological history from christofori to the modern concert grand.

has anyone read this?  it looks interesting.
do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.

Offline rich_galassini

• PS Silver Member
Re: review on amazon of book on history of piano
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 03:03:33 AM
Pianonut,

I have heard of it, but never seen it. Let me know what you think.

Btw, doesn't Amazon have reviews?
Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, Pa.
215 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
Re: review on amazon of book on history of piano
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 05:47:01 PM
Dear Rich,

yes.  i read the review and even peeked inside the book.  it made me want to buy it (looking at the chapter headings and a little of the beginning).  ok.  i'll buy it and then mail it to you after i'm done.  you probably know all the stuff anyways, but it's probably something you would use more often than me.

just like little known composers (of which i obtained a huge list - of hayden and mozart's contemproraries - now what to do with it?) there are a huge list of piano manufacturers that i've also never heard of.  and, this book seeks to compile all this into one reference, i think.

i finally figured out how to use some references (in german) at the library the other day too.  woohoo.  i found beethoven's cadenza (after looking up what K number). 
now i have to go look up Schroeter (whom Mozart wrote a cadenza for) and see if I can find out if Mozart used some of Schroeters themes in his cadenza (for him).  Then, I have to analyze all this stuff.  (plan to use a linear analysis so i don't have to spend repeated nights up all night).  the cool thing about linear is that you can actually sort of make up your own 'style' of analysis as you go (as long as others can comprehend what you are 'shorthanding') 

I still would like to find say Murray Perhaia's cadenza for the K467...or Ashkenaszy's, or Badura-Skoda??? Do you think Marc-Hamelin has these.  Do you think he would mail a copy of one or the other or all?  My address:
Susan Kossey
431 Kennedy Rd.
Collegeville, PA  19426  (ps I would pay him for the trouble- and copies)  also, if he has written his own - that would be super!
do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert