Piano Forum logo
November 24, 2017, 06:48:50 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Franz Liszt - 200th Anniversary

Today, October 22 2011, marks the 200th birthday of Franz Liszt, the greatest piano virtuoso of his time, inventor of the modern piano recital and one of the most influential composers of the 19th century. Piano Street here presents a collection of material and links to resources for you to enjoy in order to commemorate the great Franz Liszt. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Accents in Rachmaninoff Prelude C# Minor  (Read 1222 times)
puppetmaster

« on: March 18, 2005, 05:32:29 PM »

Can anyone offer some advice. In the middle section after it speeds up, towards the end there are a bunch of chord triplets going down the keyboard pretty fast. The first chord of each of these triplets is accented. Slowly I can manage, but as soon as I speed up it starts sounding like a jumble of chords again. Does anyone have any help for this. The problem is not the chords(I have them down), but the accents are giving me trouble.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

In Mist She Was Standing

piano sheet music of Prelude
steinwayguy
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 09:17:12 PM »

Can anyone offer some advice.

Doesn't look like it.
nomis
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 10:08:13 PM »

Well, the first chord of each triplet is accented, so break the passage up into threes, so that you're only practising one triplet. Now, play the first chord of the triplet very loudly and the other two as softly as possible. Repeat this so that you get the feeling of the triplet figuration. Then move to the next triplet section and do the same, as it is the Left Hand that has the accent this time. Once you get the feel of both of them, you should be able to accent the triplets correctly.
Awakening

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 02:45:59 AM »

Can anyone offer some advice. In the middle section after it speeds up, towards the end there are a bunch of chord triplets going down the keyboard pretty fast. The first chord of each of these triplets is accented. Slowly I can manage, but as soon as I speed up it starts sounding like a jumble of chords again. Does anyone have any help for this. The problem is not the chords(I have them down), but the accents are giving me trouble.

I ran into similar problems when I realized that these accents alternate hands.  I essentially did what the last guy said and slowed it down and split them up.  It's actually quite a difficult thing to do at high speeds, and even after practicing this specific section many times with the intention of accomplishing the given articulation, it never sounds as good as professional recordings I have heard.  I'm actually performing this piece tomorrow at a recital, so I've been practicing it like crazy. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: