Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Mei-Ting Sun  (Read 16719 times)

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mei-Ting Sun
Reply #50 on: March 27, 2005, 01:32:44 PM
In case the page is wrongly linked again, I better bring here once more what SteinwayModelD had written  before.

I think perhaps you had better read more closely before getting riled up - I never made any comment about Yundi Li's music at all - my comment was about media hype, and people who buy into it.

Have u been to Hong Kong and realize how absurd that situation turned out to be?

He plays 4 hands with pop stars, he is called 'the prince of piano', some people called him 'greatest pianist alive', fans fainted over his appearance and he certainly enjoys it, so many people bought his CD and not listen to it.

ANd this kind of thing transists him from making serious music to a pop-star/pianist kind of thing, and his Grieg Concerto performance in HK is just horrifying... He plays so uncertainly, and it's like he lost every single bit of glory that he used to have. ANd people still waved about his performance.

OMG, you can't believe how ridicuolous this crowd is.

And I believe I have 2 times more matierals of Yundi Li than everyone here has. Yet, I sense a deteroiation in his technique and musical mind. DOn't get me wrong, I am not anti-Li or pro-Lang, I am neither like Li nor Lang. I am just someone loves music.

And I know that there are a lot of Li's fan here. ANd he did made some excellent CDs, but studio recording can be deceiving, If u can, try to get some live performance, u will be dissapointed.

And I can't believe someone called the La Roque (or Husum) performance he gave being 'as good as before'.

His Liszt Sonata back then was one of the best I have heard, now he is just struggling with notes and stupid phrasing, completely ruined the masterpiece. Is it because he has to played the same programme OVER AND OVER AND OVER again for 3 years? I don't know. What I certainly know that is, for people who say 'Yea, Li is as good as before' or 'Li is being commercialized wouldn't affect his playing', are just as blind as the people who think Lang Lang is the 'best, greatest Virtuoso alive'.

It's just simply absurd.

Try to get more materials before u speak.

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #51 on: March 27, 2005, 05:54:15 PM
LOL

you are so predictable

i am suprised u still haven't gone insane, or have u?
Perfection itself is imperfection - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #52 on: March 27, 2005, 06:52:21 PM
LOL

you are so predictable

i am suprised u still haven't gone insane, or have u?

No answer to my reply? I guess you must say something to brush away your embarrassment? Haha!

Who is insane? The ansawer is obvious isn’t it?

What are these people good at? Writing a lot of nonsense to mislead the public is what they are good at.

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #53 on: March 27, 2005, 09:23:42 PM

Who is insane? The ansawer is obvious isn’t it?

Indeed, it is quite obvious.

(There, I answered your question)

Glissando

Reply #54 on: March 27, 2005, 09:51:32 PM

Indeed, it is quite obvious.

(There, I answered your question)

hahaha you beat me to it. :P

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #55 on: March 27, 2005, 11:44:31 PM
whoa this topic went down the chute.

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #56 on: March 28, 2005, 02:33:05 AM
whoa this topic went down the chute.

This tends to happen when Mr Yundi-Li-on-the-brain (I have yet to see this individual post on anything other than Mr. Li) chimes in on this global conspiracy theory of his.

koji (STSD)
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #57 on: March 28, 2005, 06:03:01 AM

This tends to happen when Mr Yundi-Li-on-the-brain (I have yet to see this individual post on anything other than Mr. Li) chimes in on this global conspiracy theory of his.

koji (STSD)

Why do I chime in and quickly run away? Haha! Because I am afraid of something bad happening  to my computer. Not long ago, when I clicked to open this site, a nasty message with nasty words like pregnant dog, worthless person etc just popped up. It even asked me to register to talk to him. Of course I was not stupid to be fooled so easily. After that, I was told that the same message popped up a few times even when the user didn’t visit this site. I had viewed this site from other means. Although I have no more such problem from this site recently, I guess I really should quit internet. Don't accuse me of talking to the voice in my head agan! However, comparatively, this site hadn't deleted any of my posts which I truly appreciate.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #58 on: March 28, 2005, 06:21:35 AM
I didn't use " pregnant dog", instead I used "beach" (purposely wrongly spelt if I want it to appear as it is).

I guess your website is programmed to alter certain nasty words. This is good!

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #59 on: March 28, 2005, 10:03:46 AM
Sheesh... I don't want to take sides as such but I find a LOT of credibility to SMD's words.
Fortune favours the musical.

Offline bravuraoctaves

• PS Silver Member
Reply #60 on: March 28, 2005, 10:49:26 AM
You know this topic does show that the quality of posts have gone downhill over the last year and a half.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #61 on: March 28, 2005, 11:36:47 AM
You know this topic does show that the quality of posts have gone downhill over the last year and a half.

THis topic?  I know, you are trying to blame me. But how high is the quality of some of the posts here? Ho-ho, too much nonsense. For example look at this one:

What a tremendous topic to bring back, Classicalized.

All this talk about Richter is just plain blasphemy. I can't believe you could say Richter, overall, is an overrated pianist. Maybe for Chopin or Beethoven, but nothing past that. His Schumann, Scriabin and Prokofiev are absolutely unbeatable. You haven't heard much better Liszt, Rachmaninoff or Brahms (except Gilels) either.

All of you who say Schnabel and Cortot, yet reject any thoughts of Marc Andre Hamelin, Lang Lang and Kissin are absurd. Schnabel and Cortot were pure 100% musicians. I'll admit, their "technique" is pretty terrible a lot of the time, but Hamelin, Lang Lang and Kissin's musical qualities are terrible all of the time. Not to mention M. Argerich, who, excepting Ravel, Bartok and Prokofiev, is a pile of rubbish.

Horowitz, I used to be mesmerized by him. Then I learned what an "honest interpretation" and "good tone during fortissimos" are. Just listen to his Mephisto Waltz, and you'll know this man is one of the most overrated pianists of the 20th century. "Oh but he his technique was perfect!". Yeah, but I don't give a ***.

Underrated- Gilels, Cortot, Annie Fischer, Solomon, Michelangeli.

A lot of nonsense written here.

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #62 on: March 28, 2005, 11:42:21 AM

THis topic?  I know, you are trying to blame me. But how high is the quality of some of the posts here? Ho-ho, too much nonsense. For example look at this one:

I am not saying who is writing the nonsense. I am just stating that there is tons of it.
boliver

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #63 on: March 28, 2005, 11:47:02 AM

I am not saying who is writing the nonsense. I am just stating that there is tons of it.
boliver

No, I am not talking about you.  Bravuraoctave is not BoliverAllmon I hope.

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #64 on: March 28, 2005, 12:08:04 PM

Why do I chime in and quickly run qway? Haha! Because I am afraid of something bad happening  to my computer. Not long ago, when I clicked to open this site, a nasty message with nasty words like pregnant dog, worthless person etc just popped up. It even asked me to register to talk to him. Of course I was not stupid to be fooled so easily. After that, I was told that the same message popped up a few times even when the user didn’t visit this site. I had viewed this site from other means. Although I have no more such problem from this site recently, I guess I really should quit internet. Don't accuse me of talking to the voice in my head agan! However, comparatively, this site hadn't deleted any of my posts which I truly appreciate.

Somewhere,  a padded cell is yearning for a worthy occupant.

koji (STSD)
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #65 on: March 28, 2005, 12:28:28 PM

Somewhere,  a padded cell is yearning for a worthy occupant.

koji (STSD)

There is no way to talk sense with people who are obviously in the wrong, I guess.

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #66 on: March 28, 2005, 12:43:01 PM

There is no way to talk sense with people who are obviously in the wrong, I guess.

Thanks for trying though.

koji (STSD)

Offline bravuraoctaves

• PS Silver Member
Reply #67 on: March 28, 2005, 01:11:01 PM

If you have not contributed to the decline in post quality, may I ask why do you feel that that specific comment was directed at you.

If you have not contributed to the decline in post quality, you have the right not to feel guilty.

In either case, you have the right to remain silent. Now please use it.

Thank you.

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #68 on: March 28, 2005, 01:41:29 PM

then why talk with you?

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #69 on: March 28, 2005, 03:11:31 PM

then why talk with you?

'Simply walk away, don't make eye-contact with him, otherwise he would think u are one of his kind.'

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #70 on: March 28, 2005, 04:16:30 PM

hahaha you beat me to it. :P

Who is insane?

then why talk with you?

What do you mean? please elaborate.

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #71 on: March 28, 2005, 04:22:57 PM

Who is insane?

What do you mean? please elaborate.

::)

koji (STSD)

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #72 on: March 28, 2005, 05:00:51 PM
Remember what I wrote about my neighbour? Haha!

mikeyg

Reply #73 on: March 28, 2005, 05:37:30 PM
Wow, I thought I was immature.  But thanks for boosting my self-esteem guys!

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #74 on: March 28, 2005, 06:43:38 PM
Wow, I thought I was immature.  But thanks for boosting my self-esteem guys!

i guess the thread is worth something then.

boliver

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #75 on: March 28, 2005, 06:53:38 PM
Why don't you answer my question, Bolliverallmom? Don't be afraid, haha!

mikeyg

Reply #76 on: March 28, 2005, 07:09:13 PM

i guess the thread is worth something then.

boliver

This is true.

You are starting to bother me.

Offline andyng85

• PS Silver Member
Reply #77 on: March 28, 2005, 07:12:24 PM
Please find out one another's email or messenger and carry out your silly argument privately.  Stop contaminating this thread with all this nonsense.  Let's steer this back to the original topic.
any chink azians that wish to chat about music on msn.. add me andyng85@hotmail.com

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #78 on: March 28, 2005, 07:49:13 PM

This is true.

You are starting to bother me.

He accomplished that feat quite a while ago as far as I'm concerned.

koji (STSD)

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #79 on: March 28, 2005, 08:11:27 PM

He accomplished that feat quite a while ago as far as I'm concerned.

koji (STSD)

There is something freakishly psycho and annoying about his 'haha!'

It's like he is trying to hide his nervousness, and the attempt to shows that he is superior to all of us; And yet, he failed to do so.

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #80 on: March 28, 2005, 08:28:51 PM

I don't see it as fear. If you cannot figure out what was meant by my reply then I am sorry.

boliver (notice spelling)

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #81 on: March 29, 2005, 12:33:28 AM
Amazing what can happen within a single thread over a period of twenty four hours.

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #82 on: March 29, 2005, 12:34:36 AM
Amazing what can happen within a single thread over a period of twenty four hours.

or even less time really.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #83 on: March 29, 2005, 10:28:09 AM

or even less time really.

So, I am to be blamed for the high frequency of the posting here? After my first post under this thread, these people had dropped 26 posts whereas I had dropped 12 posts. Why are they so keen to ridicule me? haha!

Common aim: To upgrade Lang Lang while recognizing that he is not musical. How to upgrade him if he is not musical? Simple, downgrade other pianists, haha! ( Sorry for my 'haha', HAHA!)

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #84 on: March 29, 2005, 10:36:18 AM
Relax, I'm not blaming anyone mate.

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #85 on: March 29, 2005, 11:50:15 AM

So, I am to be blamed for the high frequency of the posting here? After my first post under this thread, these people had dropped 26 posts whereas I had dropped 12 posts. Why are they so keen to ridicule me? haha!

Commom aim: To upgrade Lang Lang while recognizing that he is not musical. How to upgrade him if he is not musical? Simple, downgrade other pianists, haha! ( Sorry for my 'haha', HAHA!)

lay off the shrooms man and chill out.

mikeyg

Reply #86 on: March 29, 2005, 12:39:16 PM
Tibidi-

You're a loser, HAHA!
You contribute nothing, HAHA!
You are nothing but an annoyance, HAHA!
and...

You drink non-alcoholic beer, HAHA!

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #87 on: March 29, 2005, 01:05:17 PM
Allow me to introduce these people to you - they are fans of Lang Lang, haha!

The end.

mikeyg

Reply #88 on: March 29, 2005, 01:10:29 PM
Um, on this forum I have seen very little positive things said about lang lang.

And where are you from?  Just want to know what place to cross off my list of "places to visit'

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #89 on: March 29, 2005, 01:56:41 PM
Tibidi-

You contribute nothing, HAHA!

What a tremendous topic to bring back, Classicalized.

All this talk about Richter is just plain blasphemy. I can't believe you could say Richter, overall, is an overrated pianist. Maybe for Chopin or Beethoven, but nothing past that. His Schumann, Scriabin and Prokofiev are absolutely unbeatable. You haven't heard much better Liszt, Rachmaninoff or Brahms (except Gilels) either.

All of you who say Schnabel and Cortot, yet reject any thoughts of Marc Andre Hamelin, Lang Lang and Kissin are absurd. Schnabel and Cortot were pure 100% musicians. I'll admit, their "technique" is pretty terrible a lot of the time, but Hamelin, Lang Lang and Kissin's musical qualities are terrible all of the time. Not to mention M. Argerich, who, excepting Ravel, Bartok and Prokofiev, is a pile of rubbish.

Horowitz, I used to be mesmerized by him. Then I learned what an "honest interpretation" and "good tone during fortissimos" are. Just listen to his Mephisto Waltz, and you'll know this man is one of the most overrated pianists of the 20th century. "Oh but he his technique was perfect!". Yeah, but I don't give a ***.

Underrated- Gilels, Cortot, Annie Fischer, Solomon, Michelangeli.

I have contributed nothing? Here is my small contribution:

Richter’s technique is good, that is why his Beethoven Appassionata is almost unbeatable, not his Schumann, Scriabin and Prokofiev( Richter couldn’t play rubato properly, haha!). Even for Appassionata, it's only the third movement that is truly great. The first movement is not impressive at all.

I may not like M. Argerich’s chopin, but they are not rubbish to me. But Lang Lang’s music is a pile of rubbish to me.

How can you say Hamelin and Kissin’s music qualities are terrible all of the time? Utterly wrong. Hamelin has got very good technique and Kissin is very musical besides having great technique.

Horowitz’s interpretations usually made sense. He never copied others’ style.
His music is so alive that you can almost hear him talking to you sometimes.
He was one of the most musical pianists I have known.
In his prime, his technique was truly great.
He had a wide range of repertoire and had recorded compositions by many composers.
Horowitz is quite unique.
How can Horowitz be the most overrated pinists of the 20th century? Lang Lang is the  one who is most overrated of the 21th century

Offline bravuraoctaves

• PS Silver Member
Reply #90 on: March 29, 2005, 02:09:09 PM
It's amazing, the quality of this thread has gone through the floor. I thought it couldn't get worse.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #91 on: March 29, 2005, 02:23:11 PM
It's amazing, the quality of this thread has gone through the floor. I thought it couldn't get worse.

Haha!

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #92 on: March 29, 2005, 02:27:41 PM

Haha!

dude shut up with the haha!

Offline bravuraoctaves

• PS Silver Member
Reply #93 on: March 29, 2005, 02:28:30 PM
Please find out one another's email or messenger and carry out your silly argument privately.  Stop contaminating this thread with all this nonsense.  Let's steer this back to the original topic..

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #94 on: March 29, 2005, 02:32:48 PM
Please find out one another's email or messenger and carry out your silly argument privately.  Stop contaminating this thread with all this nonsense.  Let's steer this back to the original topic..

i agree and will attempt to steer it right now. I commend MT for staying pure in his recordings. He has mistakes at times in his music, but he told us before that the reason why he doesn't go and fix them is that he feels that he loses some musical interpretation when attempting to strive for perfect notes. Also the fact that he doesn't doctor his recordings is refreshing also. I was listening to an old recording once of Horowitz and my friend hated it. He much prefered some other recording of the piece by a nobody. I quickly realized the reason why. The nobody recording had added bass boost, reverb, and overall had a fuller sound. Whereas the Horowitz recording didn't. it was live and alive. HEHEHEHE!!!!! So, stay true MT. You are on the right track.

boliver

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #95 on: March 29, 2005, 02:35:41 PM

You people are certainly difficult to please. You said I have contributed nothing, so I wrote something about music. But now you want me to shut up. How unreasonable. Nevertheless, I shall try to please you again by shutting up now. No more Haha!

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #96 on: March 29, 2005, 02:37:11 PM

You people are certainly difficult to please. You said I have contributed nothong, so I wrote somethong about music. But now you want me to shut up. How unreasonable. Nevertheless, I shall try to please you again by shutting up now. No more Haha!

thank you

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #97 on: March 29, 2005, 02:54:56 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, I was just practicing my tremelos. Carry on.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

mikeyg

Reply #98 on: March 29, 2005, 03:21:22 PM
That is a very accurate tremolo.  how long did it taake you to do it?  what is your BPM?

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #99 on: March 30, 2005, 10:51:14 AM
ROFLMAO

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

not too bad innit?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert