Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Looking for oppinions on Petrof Pianos  (Read 3924 times)

Offline mainelymusic

• PS Silver Member
Looking for oppinions on Petrof Pianos
on: March 21, 2005, 09:28:45 PM
I am looking to replace my older Yamaha GH1 that I lost in my house fire.  My insurance company is giving me just over 17K for a new piano.

I have always been a big Yamaha fan.  My absolute favorite is a C3, however that model is simply not in my budget.  The salesperson that I last talked to suggested  come in and try a Petrof III (6' 4" grand)

I am looking for oppinions on this piano, and/or Petrof pianos in general.  From what I have read, petrof need more work out of the crate than say a Yamaha, but have a georgeous tone and sound when properly tweeked.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Offline CJ Quinn

• PS Silver Member
Re: Looking for oppinions on Petrof Pianos
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 09:57:55 PM
I am looking to replace my older Yamaha GH1 that I lost in my house fire.  My insurance company is giving me just over 17K for a new piano.

I have always been a big Yamaha fan.  My absolute favorite is a C3, however that model is simply not in my budget.  The salesperson that I last talked to suggested  come in and try a Petrof III (6' 4" grand)

I am looking for oppinions on this piano, and/or Petrof pianos in general.  From what I have read, petrof need more work out of the crate than say a Yamaha, but have a georgeous tone and sound when properly tweeked.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

17k for a Petrof III is a very very good price, for starters.  I happen to like Petrofs a great deal and came thisclose to buying one were it not for an incredible deal on a slightly used Af190. 

I often revisited the dealer where I bought my piano and played lots of Petrofs (while he still carried them) and I always found them to be musical.  The bass on the Petrof III does not quite match the rest of the scale on the couple or 3 of them that I played - others have reported that well tweaked IIIs are fabulous all through the compass.

I found the Petrof IV (170cm) an incredibly satisfying piano for that size and I have read accounts of a few people who actually prefer the IV to the III.

My first impression of a Petrof sticks in my mind very clearly.  I thought, how in the world is Baldwin going to survive with competition like this?  I was at the time shopping for a Baldwin L.

I'd say czech them out for sure.

;D
Christopher James Quinn
Brooklyn, Earth

Piano: August Förster 190

mp3s: www.media.cjquinn.com

My Miraculous Brooklyn Piano Teacher:  https://www.racheljimenez.com

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 02:09:20 AM
I agree with CJ.  The Pertoffs I have played are very good pianos and they age very well too.  I would take it over the Yamaha even is the Yamaha was $5,000 cheaper.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline Danm

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 04:06:37 AM
I think they are great pianos, from my experience with them. I almost bought one, would have in fact if I didn't find a CW190 instead. But one of the things that worried me is that the Petrof seems to be a piano that people move out of after a while. I talked to a few people who owned them who became dissatisfied with the touch or tone eventually.

No idea if there is any trend to this information, but it was an impression I picked up.

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 06:04:19 PM
What you heard is true they do have a gorgeous tone partic Petrof III grand and upwards. I dont know about needing more working in time (but then the usage i gave my petrof upright - it didnt stand a chance of being unresponsive). You definately get more for your money with them  - a possible reason why RAM - london have invested in a load of them. they are jolly decent - try some out and bond with them. you'll learn to love them ;D

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 01:57:36 PM
That a piano needs more tweeking than another one out of the crate is not necessarily a bad thing:

it means that it has character and that it is worth the trouble of tweeking it.  Did you know that there are piano craftsman that buy Hamburg Steinway Model D right from the factory and work for over a year on it because it can be made A LOT better then when it leaves the factory. This man has a waiting list of many years for his "tuned" Steinway's.

Personally i think petroff grands are great piano's for their price and i would certainly recommend bying one.  The only problem is if you really want it tweeked perfectly it will cost you some money. Also the action of a Petroff is pretty heavy but you can test that. I think price/ quality under 20 000  $ they are one of the best. A plus IMHO is also that every Petroff grand is different: they do have character of their own and that's remarkable for a piano in that price range.

Offline etudes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 10:06:35 PM
i once try petrof very big one i think 9 feet
and it is the most difficult piano i have ever touch
the key are very deep and very hard to produce very large and loud sound
but when you play very soft and lyric it works quite well
i dont know is that the same as any of petrof i just try once
it is worth for practising with that kind of piano  ;D not for concert or competition  :P
Piano = my life
My life = piano

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 11:25:21 PM
I have a Yamaha 5'8 grand.   I really like it.  I haven't heard of the other kind you mentioned, but then again, I haven't heard of alot of things........
Christians aren't perfect; just forgiven.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert