Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Best piano?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Best piano?
on: March 27, 2005, 03:00:28 AM
In your opinion is a Yamaha the best grand piano as far as sonority, tone color, and dynamic range is concerned?  Is Steinway better, or does it really just depend on each piano individually?  What is the best piano you've ever performed or played on?
Christians aren't perfect; just forgiven.

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
Re: Best piano?
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 03:50:00 AM
yamaha was meant to be in a better price range for the average consumer.  you get what you pay for with steinway (i own a kawaii - med. price range - but stiffer than the upright yamahas i tried at one particular store).  you want it to stay equally in tune (tight pins), to be built without so many flaws, and to last a long time, right?  if you can afford a used steinway, i'd buy it over a new yamaha.  if you buy from an estate sale, often they are simply furniture and kept for 3-5 years for decoration.  THAT's a good deal - because you don't have to pay full price!
do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 05:40:51 AM
Hamburg Steinways

;D

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 06:13:12 AM
How did I guess, SteinwayGuy!

Offline Sergey R

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 11:06:31 AM
I'm thinking this should be on the "instruments" board...

Offline nomis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 01:05:46 PM
In your opinion is a Yamaha the best grand piano as far as sonority, tone color, and dynamic range is concerned?  Is Steinway better, or does it really just depend on each piano individually?  What is the best piano you've ever performed or played on?

I think you're generalising a bit here, saying that one company's make is better than the other's etc. How good a piano is is purely subjective and as you've said, it depends on each individual piano. For example, a turn of the century Steinway will sound different a new Steinway. There will never be the perfect piano, that is why pianos are still being made and that is also why there will many innovations to come. Also, as Vladimir Horowitz said, "Perfection itself is imperfection." :)

The best piano I've played is a Steinway Model C, 1985, Hamburg (I think), but I don't particularly like it. The keys are quite heavy, and as a result, it feels unresponsive because it's so difficult to get the dynamics you want without constant experimentation and hard work. As with many Steinways, the bass notes (particularly when it is unpedalled) sound ugly. That said though, it has wonderful resonance, particularly when it's tuned, and the action feels wonderful.

The best piano I've heard is the Gaveau concert grand that Georges Cziffra plays in that EMI Classics DVD. The tone is absolutely gorgeous, though the bass is lacking a little in power. Too bad the company doesn't exist anymore (it was taken over by Erard, then Erard was taken over by Schimmel) and I would love to play one. At least the Gaveau concert hall still exists, a somewhat small consolation.

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 01:26:38 PM

"Generally", Yamaha is nowhere near the top pianos. Everyone brand and model has its strengths and weaknesses, but "generally" look at Boesendorfer, Mason & Hamlin, Fazioli, Steingraeber & Soehne, Bluethner, perhaps Steinway (particularly Hamburg) as the top brands (I may have forgotten one or the other). There are individual pianos that are "top", and a few small manufacturers make top pianos too.

Also, this and similar topics have been discussed to death in the "Instruments" section. Take a look.

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 09:34:54 PM
didn't realize there was an instrument's section.  sorry

Offline Troldhaugen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 01:29:37 AM
Does anyone have an experience with Ibach? Just curious..
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert