Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: shaking like a leaf  (Read 2476 times)

Offline soundtrk

• PS Silver Member
shaking like a leaf
on: March 30, 2005, 08:09:15 AM
So I performed in a concert today, Ginastera's Danzas Argentinas; I'd mentioned here a couple of weeks ago. The performance went well. I totally had fun with the piece and gave it all I could. I think I was successful in bringing the music through, even though technically it wasn't always 100% there. The audience was also sufficiently impressed, and gave me enthusiastic responses after the concert.

But I had one problem: before, during, and even after I played, I was shaking like a leaf! It was a very slight and fast vibration in the hands, arms, and breath. I didn't think I was "nervous". I thoroughly enjoy being on stage, being listened to, and I thought I played the piece even better than I did in isolation in practice rooms. But the shaking was so distracting! I really would have enjoyed it a lot more if I wasn't trying to ignore the shaking and get on with having fun. I really didn't think I was nervous, but my body apparently didn't agree, or something.

I do have to say, though, that I think the shaking helped a bit in the fast repeated cords in the first and third movement; and sometimes I felt like I was successfully channeling this nervous energy into my playing. But the rest of it was just a total distraction.

Has anyone else have similar experience/problems?

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Re: shaking like a leaf
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 10:49:42 AM
I don't really shake as such, but I do get a tiny jittery feeling in my legs and stomach. It's very unpleasant and distracting but usually disappears once I've begun playing.
Fortune favours the musical.

Offline shasta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 12:16:55 PM
Congrats on your successful performance!  Glad you chose the Ginastera.  :)

As for the shaking, probably not nerves (as you said) --- most likely your entire body was just totally pumped in anticipation, so you probably felt like a live wire!  Sounds like you were able to channel that excitement into your music, since you said you played the piece even better onstage than in the practice room.  Congrats!
"self is self"   - i_m_robot

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 04:29:58 AM
this shaking used to happen to me all the time and yes it is quite distracting...what i find helpful is to take a moment wen you sit down at the piano to calm yourself down and make sure your body is completely under control before you start playing....also starting your program with a slow piece helps tremendously with the whole calming effect...the first piece on my audition program for college was bach's wtc bk 1 no 1...and the prelude worked wonders on my nerves/adrenaline
rach on!

pocorina

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 08:57:29 PM
Yes, it was probably extreme excitement. I get that often, but never nerves. It does dissapear mostly, once i start playing, because i find the music can soothe me in some way. Try that

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 10:45:37 PM
I usually shake during the performance because with all the adrenaline, it seems easier to play the piano than not the play the piano at any given time.  the result: mistakes all over the place and inaccurate rhythm.  arrrghh its a disease!

Offline nikodr

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 11:29:08 PM
Well i have not given so many concerts lately,but let me add my piece of advice.It is all in our mind!.Hands and fingers are the servants of the brain,if we instruct them correctly everything will be correctly,if they are given wrong orders everything collapses.So even the nervous feeling and the shaking is more mental after all.My main problem was cold hands but i found ways to beat it.

The more you know the piece the less the anxiety,it is always be impossible to bring it to 0% but please remember,you are the commandant of everything in your recitals,if it goes good remember to praise yourself,if it goes bad its your fault,your fingers do what they are commanded,and so is your brain,anxiety can be controlled by positive thinking and by....having....a very healthy life style,plenty of rest,good food and no stay up in deep night.

I know it may sound weird,but forget the audience and concentrate on the sound,worry about the audience later,let nothing come in to your play,it is just you and the instrument,the other people,even if they are or not it is not something you should think,your primary thought is only one.The quality and the sonorities you want to create with your instrument.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert