Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: composer board  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Skeptopotamus

• PS Silver Member
composer board
on: March 30, 2005, 07:18:33 PM
yay.  composition is good.

and so are avatars.

Offline fred smalls

• PS Silver Member
Re: composer board
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 07:18:54 AM
Im confused, do you mean we should create a composer board? :-\
Avatars would be nice... Skepto, I'd be scared to see what you'd make yours ;) Or am I eager? ;)
Medtner is my god.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 07:40:54 PM
tut-tut... what's that ?  A composer board you say  :D ;D ?
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Dazzer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 02:23:39 PM
I think he means a forum for people here who compose pieces. Maybe pieces for piano. They could post up some comps and see whether people can play them, and then upload recordings of it or something.

But then again, this IS the "piano forum"

haha

Dazzer

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 07:48:21 AM
Composer/Recordings board would be good.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 03:20:50 PM
I haven't been here all that long and somehow I still know the Nils has commented a few times on how avatars are unlikely to happen to save the dial-up users from the inevitable headaches that will come with loading 50 images on each thread.

A composer board sounds interesting, but I don't see how the repertoire or performance boards fail.  I would, however, be a strong advocate for a recordings board.

pocorina

Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 08:47:58 PM
COMPLETEY AGREE!

AT LAST

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 11:02:54 PM
A place to upload original mp3s similar to the temporary Pianoworld CD project page would be a good permanent feature. I don't know how many problems in the way of space, administration or copyright this would pose. Aside from the odd bit of rubbish nothing too terrible seems to have been uploaded on Pianoworld. It occurs to me that a poster with a question could include speech in the mp3 as well as playing, perhaps in relation to a section containing a problem or to illustrate a musical point.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 11:47:39 PM
That would be wicked I would certainly talk rather than type because my typing sucks and I can say ramble on longer with my voice ;) And I think it would liven up this forum heaps more if we can all start listening to media from other people. I think it would be good also to seperate the playing standards so that people don't feel discouraged to post their own piano playing if they don't think they are masters like we all are *cough*. Everyone should feel confident to send their music so I think if you had Beginners, Intermediate and Advanced sections it would work.

As for Copyright you can play anything in the entire world, so long you dont make money off it. Like if i do a public concert I couldn't play Gershwin in my program because it is copyright and demands payment to be presented in public, however if i play it as an ENCORE, where i am playing more music out of the goodness of my heart more than because the people have paid for it, I can get away with it. So if we did MP3's of some copyright music it would be perfectly ok, so long we don't expect payment for it.
www.pianovision.com

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 06:42:51 AM
Oh, I didn't realise that, Liiw. However, if the composer is living I think I would tend to let him or her hear the recording first. An awful lot of people are likely to listen to whatever we would post and I'd hate to think of posting an interpretation really anathema to the composer. I'm probably being hypersensitive but I do want to remain friends with the composers I've taken the trouble to get to know.

If the copyright angle is otherwise straightforward then yes, let's go for it and have a show of intention here by as many members as possible and ask Nils his thoughts on the idea.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 06:23:16 AM
Would be nice to also have recordings of lesser known pieces as well as all the popular ones and attached to them, links to all discussion reffering to that piece. Perhaps about fingering issues, how people tackled it, or just the stories surrounding the piece or composer at that time etc.

Perhaps even we could get a group of people who are good in writing to write Piano Forums official documentation of that particular peice. The writing could be the effort, thoughts and ideas of many people on here but edited and boiled down to whats most important, and also perhaps it could quote other important texts or sources. Perhaps it would be also good to have the post open so that the public can keep posting their own ideas, experience of that piece and it adds itselfs beneath the initial official "piano forum" post of that piece.

It would definatly be the first online to do that from my experience, because i havent seen a webpage which has mp3 or vids of a particular  piece and then directly next to that a link which directs you to open discussion about that piece. A powerful educational/recreational tool I reckon if you get it going.

So in the end to have one page with a huge list of pieces where with one click you can either download the peice, or read everything the pianoforum has mentioned about it (that is the official piano forum document on it, and posts of the public too).

Also would be good to get a bio of those that submit recordings so we could read a little about them. Would also be good if that is further stretched so that everyone on piano forum can write a biogrpahy of themselves in their profile, because there is little space to write anything about yourself in your profile settings at the moment. And it would be nice to click on a name and get to know who they are.
www.pianovision.com

Offline Skeptopotamus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 04:47:00 AM
um..... ???

i meant like a board (like we have repertoire and teaching) where people can talk about composing, share their compositions and get feedback on their compositions.  of course these would be piano compositions ^^

i think a lot of people are shy about sharing their own music, but with a composition board they might feel more comfortable since it would encourage them to share, but of course that would require everyone to be nice too...

i mean, the next Mozart might be a member here but is just too shy.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert