Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Fair price for Kohler and Campbell?  (Read 4629 times)

Offline xenopethgears

• PS Silver Member
Fair price for Kohler and Campbell?
on: April 02, 2005, 01:22:15 AM
I was thinking about buying a 48" Kohler and Cambell upright today at a piano store. It's 2 years old. Costs 4500 and that already includes delivery, tax, bench, and 1 tuning. Is this a fair price at all. I'm sure it's not great because piano stores tend to be a bit expensive but I just want to make sure it's not a ripoff. I'd appreciate any help, thanks. Oh and tell me if you have any questions about it, but I barely know anything about it so I might not be able to answer.

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fair price for Kohler and Campbell?
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 02:33:36 AM
$1300 to $1500 sounds more like it.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline xenopethgears

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 06:26:24 AM
Really? So it's a total rip-off, even from a piano store with warranty and all that? If so, it would be great if someone could recommend somewhere I can get a used piano in the 2-5k price range. Thanks for the help.

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 01:48:24 PM
Assuming your figures are in US Dollar, check out Yamaha's P22, should be able to get that brand new within your price range, and the T-121 might be doable as well. Kawai UST-8 and even K-25/K-30 might be doable brand new. There should be one or two Petrof models that you can buy brand new with that sort of money, though I'm less familiar with Petrof uprights. Looking for used piano, you might be able to get a 52" Yamaha U3 that's less than 10 years old with that budget -- if you can find a good one, that'd be a way to go. (Nothing against Kohler and Campell... I'm just not familiar with it.)

Where possible, get an independent piano technician to help you inspect the used piano you're interested in before you buy -- it's like hiring an independent mechanic to check out a used car before you buy one.

Can't tell you "where" to get them because, well, you haven't tell us roughly "where" you are. Telling you about a shop in Berlin, Massachussetts* will not help if you live in Berlin, Germany. And depending on where you are, there might be additional sensible options available to you outside of Yamaha, Kawai, and Petrof.

(p.s. * Hypothetical example... I don't think there is any piano shop in Berlin, Massachussetts. :P )

Offline xenopethgears

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 06:12:18 PM
My figures are in fact in US dollars. Also I live in Santa Clara, CA (the bay area). I looked up the U3 on craig's list and found a couple of them for just around 3000$. This seems pretty nice right? The only problem is that Kawai and Yamaha seem to have really really brilliant sound. I like more of the warmer kind of sound myself. I can deal with it being a little bright but some Yamaha's I've played are just way too much in the upper register. Is this true with the U3? I'm really new to piano shopping so any and all information anyone could give me would be much appreciated, thanks for the help again.

Offline xenopethgears

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 09:26:01 PM
I just went to a Yamaha dealer and found a used U3 for 4000$. It's 20 years old, which doesn't seem too bad. Once again includes tax, delivery tuning and bench. I played it and surprisingly the higher registers weren't brilliant at all so I'm good with the sound. I think I'll go for this one unless 20 years seems too old for the price?

Offline gkatele

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 10:53:30 PM
I just went to a Yamaha dealer and found a used U3 for 4000$. It's 20 years old, which doesn't seem too bad. I played it and surprisingly the higher registers weren't brilliant at all so I'm good with the sound.

A piano is like a house: It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If this piano moves you (positively!), and the price seems fair to you, grab it. If you don't someone else, who is moved will.

Having said that, be sure that a technician (whom you trust!) looks at the instrument. He can tell you if it's been used/abused/loved/hated etc.

Good luck.

George
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Groucho Marx

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 04:08:19 AM
Visit Knauer pianos.  You will spend less money and he will guide you to a decent instrument that fits your needs.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 07:58:56 AM
I just went to a Yamaha dealer and found a used U3 for 4000$. It's 20 years old, which doesn't seem too bad. Once again includes tax, delivery tuning and bench. I played it and surprisingly the higher registers weren't brilliant at all so I'm good with the sound. I think I'll go for this one unless 20 years seems too old for the price?
The price looks OK to me, assuming the piano is in good condition.

Agree with GeorgeK about getting a used piano checked out by an independent technician whom you trust.

As a precaution, it might also be a good idea to get the serial number and cross check that with Yamaha's website to verify the piano's age and origin.

Good luck. :)

Offline gkatele

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 11:33:20 AM
As a precaution, it might also be a good idea to get the serial number and cross check that with Yamaha's website to verify the piano's age and origin.

I had a heck of a time finding the serial number lookup for Yamaha pianos. Here it is:

https://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/Text_WithCatMenu_XC/0,6380,CNTID%253D12173%2526CTID%253D410010,00.html

George
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Groucho Marx
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert