Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Question about Story and Clark?  (Read 12571 times)

Offline japlits

• PS Silver Member
Question about Story and Clark?
on: April 04, 2005, 03:37:50 PM
Is this a geniune Story and Clark Piano? i dont have any idea what model is this... hope you could help me... thanks...

Offline mamma2my3sons

• PS Silver Member
Re: Question about Story and Clark?
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 09:48:14 PM
It says "Story & Clark" on it. They are not valuable pianos fyi.  Do a search on google for piano serial numbers & its likely that you will find a website that will tell you  what year it is from. I know thats what I did to get the manufacter date on my Story & Clark that I traded in on my Kohler/campbell grand.

My S & C was from the 60's--in good shape, it was a spinet though, not an upright like yours. I bought it for $400 & sold it for $500 almost 2 years later. I liked the sound. It had the old laminated Story tone mahogany soundboard.

Story & Clark is now made in Dongbei China. They have a US Factory in PA that gets them from China & fine tunes, does some of the prep work on them before shipping them to the dealers around the US.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Offline vivace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 01:39:41 AM
A S&C consol (from the 60's-70's) was the piano I grew up with. It had a very nice warm tone and I actually preferred it to most of the non-grands I played on during college for that reason.

Not sure if this is true, but I have heard that Story & Clark was mostly a furniture company... :)

Offline japlits

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 06:00:35 AM
mamma2my3sons , sir where i could find the serial number? does the woodworks and internal still original or atleast have similarity to other Story and Clark uprights? thanks...

vivace, sir does your S&C have two pedals on it? thanks...

Offline wynnbear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 06:40:21 PM
Your serial number should be on the small oval plate that sits between the rows of tuning pins.  I can see the plate in your pictures, but it's too far away to read the number.  Once you get the number, post it, and someone with an Ancott directory can tell you the approximate age.

To the best of my knowledge Story and Clark has been a middle of the road builder, not the best quality, not the worst.  Usually the medium quality piano is housed in a very attractive cabinet. 

Like any old piano, though, there is no such thing as antique value.  The value of your piano is dependent on its condition as a musical instrument.  By that I mean the performance level and wear on all its various parts, wood, metal, and felt. 

A look at the hammer line in one of the pictures you posted would make me guess that the action is in very poor repair despite the nice shiny finish.
Wynne

Offline japlits

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 12:53:26 AM
WynnBear , sir thanks for the info.. there was no serial on the oval plate, its probably been repaired already... and do'nt mind the value of this piano i just want to know if it is still a genuine story and clark...  the pics of the hammer you saw thats why its not aligned because the keys had cover on it, i have'nt take it off.....  as you can see in the other picture the cover of the keys had been remove, then the hammers aligned...

Offline wynnbear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 03:18:19 PM
With "Story & Clark" apparently cast into the plate, I see no reason to doubt that this is genuine.  I've heard of a few grands where someone tried to turn a piano into a "Steinway" or a "Baldwin" by casting letters, epoxying them to the plate, and then re-spraying the plate so the addition was not detectable.  I don't know why anyone would do that with a Story & Clark upright, though. 
Wynne
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert