Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Sonata  (Read 5072 times)

Offline haarmonika

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven Sonata
on: April 05, 2005, 02:16:29 AM
Please help me decide which Beethoven Sonata I should learn.

Op. 27 no. 1    or    Op. 28 (Pastoral)
I like the Op.27/1 in general, but i LOVE the 2nd movement of the Pastoral.

Which would you prefer? hmm.. ::)

Offline Ludwig Van Rachabji

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Sonata
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 02:33:40 AM
It is really up to you. I suggest you learn both of them. What other Beethoven sonatas have you played? If this is the first, I suggest you learn the Pastoral first, simply because it is easier.
Music... can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable. Leonard Bernstein

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 01:47:15 AM
Please help me decide which Beethoven Sonata I should learn.

Op. 27 no. 1    or    Op. 28 (Pastoral)
I like the Op.27/1 in general, but i LOVE the 2nd movement of the Pastoral.

Which would you prefer? hmm.. ::)

If the 27 no.1 is harder, I would personally tackle the this one, just for the sake of challenge  ;D Even if some pieces are really cool to play, they may be boring to learn, if they are too easy. So I try to pick hard pieces to learn, to have fun with them, but that after you learned you still have fun to play! But that's just my personal fun  :P

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 04:08:27 AM
If the 27 no.1 is harder, I would personally tackle the this one, just for the sake of challenge ;D Even if some pieces are really cool to play, they may be boring to learn, if they are too easy. So I try to pick hard pieces to learn, to have fun with them, but that after you learned you still have fun to play! But that's just my personal fun :P

Well I can pretty much guarantee that you wont' find the Pastoral too easy, just take a look at that Trio...

Offline jiwongirl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 12:29:34 AM
I have a question for those who are very familiar with Beethoven's sonatas (sorry I didn't want to start a new thread)
It seems that they're required to get anywhere (schools, competitions, etc.)  I have played only 3 of his sonatas, the Waldstein, Pathetique, and the Moonlight. (I enjoyed all of them)  Can anyone recommend me a Beethoven sonata?  (possibly a shorter sonata).  I can't seem to find another sonata that I like.  Out of the 3 sonatas, I enjoyed playing the pathetique the most.  I have decided to just pick one, and just learn it, although I might not like it. 

Thanks!  (please don't hurt me Beethoven fans  :-\)

;D

Offline mikeyg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 01:01:17 AM
I have a question for those who are very familiar with Beethoven's sonatas (sorry I didn't want to start a new thread)
It seems that they're required to get anywhere (schools, competitions, etc.)  I have played only 3 of his sonatas, the Waldstein, Pathetique, and the Moonlight. (I enjoyed all of them)  Can anyone recommend me a Beethoven sonata?  (possibly a shorter sonata).  I can't seem to find another sonata that I like.  Out of the 3 sonatas, I enjoyed playing the pathetique the most.  I have decided to just pick one, and just learn it, although I might not like it. 

;D

Have you looked at the Tempest?  It may not be what you are looking for, but it is certainly a beautiful piece of music.
I want an Integra.  1994-2001.   GSR.  If you see one, let me know.

www.johncareycompositions.com/forum

Offline rachmaninoff_969

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 04:45:03 AM
learn his Op. 2 no. 1   it's short, fun to play, not too difficult, and is not overplayed like the other three you learned (if you learn all 4 movements).

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 01:03:39 PM
Personally I love the Pastoral. 

---

;D

Maybe you can go for some later Beethoven such as Op. 78.  Very beautiful, clever melodic writing.  Scerene 1st mvt. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline odsum25

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 04:52:58 PM
I actually find the Pastoral to be more difficult than Op. 27 No. 1.  To get the first movement to come off well takes so much musicality.  The second movement is one of my favorites and apparently one of Beethoven's as well.  Playing the scherzo up to speed and with the right emphasis might take some time, but it isn't too bad.  The rondo needs to be paced perfectly (read: NOT TOO FAST) and seem somewhat improvisatory.  The coda at the end is very simple and straightforward though.  I think this is a much better and more difficult piece than people give it credit for.

Offline TheHammer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 07:32:32 PM
I actually find the Pastoral to be more difficult than Op. 27 No. 1. To get the first movement to come off well takes so much musicality. The second movement is one of my favorites and apparently one of Beethoven's as well. Playing the scherzo up to speed and with the right emphasis might take some time, but it isn't too bad. The rondo needs to be paced perfectly (read: NOT TOO FAST) and seem somewhat improvisatory. The coda at the end is very simple and straightforward though. I think this is a much better and more difficult piece than people give it credit for.

Ah, really? Coincidentally, I sight-read through op.28  just today (of course brutally badly), and didn't encounter any severe problems. Whereas the 4th movement of op.27/1 is giving me nightmares, not to forget the second movement (especially repeat where you have to play RH and LH one quaver apart- meh!) and also to some degree the intermezzo 1st movement. Then again... as you say, the difficulty of op.28  may not lie in technique but musicality.
It's definatly the bigger and more sonata-like sonata, whereas op.27/1 seems to be a lyrical experiment. Both great pieces...

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 03:51:34 AM
Go Pastoral. At leas that is what I am doing. HEHEHEHEHE

Offline haarmonika

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 04:23:54 AM
yes! "go pastoral"
hi - i just wanted to say that i am working on the pastoral 'n im luvin' it  ;)
thnx for the posts  :-*

Offline possom46

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 08:40:23 AM
My personal favourite, the Appassionata, always play it to calm me down if someones wound me up  ;D

Offline jiwongirl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 05:04:32 PM
thanks everyone!

i'm gonna have a look at pastoral and op.78
 ;)

Offline felipe717

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 07:59:21 PM
Do you play any other sonatas? Because these two are very difficult, although it doesn't seem to be. Pastorale is the 11th most difficult Beethoven Sonata, and Op.27 No.1 is the 18th, harder than Moonlight. I'd suggest you to study Pathetique, it's very nice and isn't too difficult: 8th hardest.
"The barriers are not erected which can say to aspiring talents and industry: 'Thus far and no farther!'"
L.v.Beethoven

(Sorry about my English, I'm from Brazil :x)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert