Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: KAWAI K-25 INHERENT DEFECTS  (Read 6040 times)

Offline JETDOCTOR

• PS Silver Member
KAWAI K-25 INHERENT DEFECTS
on: April 06, 2005, 01:59:05 AM
I purchased a new mahogany polish K-25 and had my middle C and the four notes to the left buzz, and the keyboard cover would not close properly.  After 2 repair calls they replaced the piano with a new K-25 that did the same thing only this one sounded muddy. Kawai Rep. Andrew Thomas told me "All K-25's buzz and the fix is to load the strings with felt."
I have since paid an additional $225 to re-deliver the original piano. Even though this piano buzzes' it sounds remarkably better than its replacement.
      I bought this piano because the salesman told me Kawai had the same customer service that Yamaha does.  I have found Kawai's customer service to be cold and unreceptive. I am filing a report with the Michigan Atty Gen quoting Mr. Andrew Thomas.
I suggest other K-25 owners do the same...perhaps a class action lawsuit can be initiated.

Offline Michele Felice

• PS Silver Member
Re: KAWAI K-25 INHERENT DEFECTS
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 04:21:32 AM
Before you give up on Kawai, contact someone who is responsible for service on the national level.
I suggest Don Mannino, RPT. His email is dmannino@kawaius.com.

You deserve better service than you have received.
Piano technician no longer active in the trade.

Offline westman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 04:01:21 PM
Michelle: Thanks for you input. I sent a lengthy email to that person today explaining all my issues in detail, and that I was not alone in experiencing these types of problems. I'll keep everyone posted as to what happens next.

Offline athomas

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 10:03:10 PM
Dear Friends and fellow "Piano People,"

I had a lengthy discussion with this customer regarding the noises he was experiencing on his K25 which he purchased from one of our dealers.  During that conversation I made every possible effort to assure this customer that we understood his concerns about his purchase, and intended to resolve the problem to his satisfaction.  Never once did I say that my company sells knowingly defective products, or that K25s have known defects. 

If anyone is experiencing an unresolved  problem on a Kawai Piano, or has a constructive word of criticism regarding how we may improve our service, I would welcome your comments. 

Sincerely,

Andrew Thomas, RPT
Kawai Piano Technical Support
athomas@kawaius.com
(800) 421-2177 X312

Offline westman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 08:00:16 PM
athomas: I sent you an email about a month ago on this subject to which you did not respond. I will send another. Perhaps you did responded but it got lost amid all the spam. Please note the specific return email address I will add to the message. Do not use the one that is automatically used when you create a reply.

I had a piano tech with 31 years of experience (and who's father is also a tech and actually tested and qualified other certified techs) look at my K25 yesterday and confirmed that this model tends to have problems with notes near the treble break. They tend to have a hollow and/or tinny sound that cannot be removed through voicing or other means. He suggested a different model Kawai (so I know its not that he just doesn't like Kawai), or another brand altogether. He also verified that certain squeaks in the mechanism for the sustain pedal are also an inherent defect in this model (and in some other brands he has serviced as well). He made these statements while at the same time emphasizing that there is no such thing as a "perfect" piano, or any other type of acoustic instrument. But that these defects specific to the K25 go beyond what one would normally expect in terms of subtle differences and nuances between instruments.

I am sure Kawai (nor their dealers) would not knowingly sell a defective model, but it looks like for the K25 it might be that 80% come out all right and 20% have these issues.

Offline westman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 08:08:32 PM
In my previous post I cited athomas for failing to respond to an email concerning problems with K25 pianos. I was incorrect, that email was not sent to athomas, but was sent to dmannino@kawaius.com. I apologize for the error  :-X

Offline classicarts

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 03:10:03 AM
I purchased a new mahogany polish K-25 and had my middle C and the four notes to the left buzz, and the keyboard cover would not close properly.  After 2 repair calls they replaced the piano with a new K-25 that did the same thing only this one sounded muddy. Kawai Rep. Andrew Thomas told me "All K-25's buzz and the fix is to load the strings with felt."
I have since paid an additional $225 to re-deliver the original piano. Even though this piano buzzes' it sounds remarkably better than its replacement.
      I bought this piano because the salesman told me Kawai had the same customer service that Yamaha does.  I have found Kawai's customer service to be cold and unreceptive. I am filing a report with the Michigan Atty Gen quoting Mr. Andrew Thomas.
I suggest other K-25 owners do the same...perhaps a class action lawsuit can be initiated.

I was never fond of Kawai's pianos or their customer service.  I have called them on numerous occasions on their answering machines regarding some queston on my upright I used to own. And yes, they do sound crappy like you say.   Every since then,  the sound or the feel of their pianos just got worse.  I believe customer service is just as paramount to manufacturing quality pianos.  Since then, I have bought myself a Yamaha C5, which I am very happy with.   8)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert