Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Yamaha C2 or Kawai RX-2  (Read 4990 times)

Offline yoda_muppet

• PS Silver Member
Yamaha C2 or Kawai RX-2
on: April 06, 2005, 01:36:20 PM
Hello!

After researching my previous post "gc1 vs c1" I have decided to think bigger.  I'm now considering a piano just shy of 6', which should fit into my home well and offer a big improvment over the smaller grands. 

Do you guys recommend Yamaha or Kawai in this size?  What is a good price in the US for them?

Many Thanks,

Doug

Offline wynnbear

• PS Silver Member
Re: Yamaha C2 or Kawai RX-2
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 05:37:19 PM
These are both solid instruments.  The answer is choose the one that you think sounds and feels best. 

There are also other choices in the same general price and size range, so if it were me, I would make sure I checked out all the alternatives.
Wynne

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 04:21:05 AM
oh, for me, the answer is simple - Yamaha, all the way.  I find Kawai piano sound muffled even under the best conditions.  Also, have a look at Petrof grands.  The price will be about the same, perhaps a little higher, but you may be blown away so its all worth it. 

I find the kawai grands have sticky keys and the rx series has this stupid new material meant to imatate the natural feel of ivory.  It feels so weird and mushy, just like the sound.

use your discretion

donjuan

Offline yoda_muppet

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 05:22:55 PM
I think it will be Yamaha.

I play a lot of jazz piano.  The tone of the Kawai is fine, but I didn't like it much for the type of music I play.  I spent a good half hour in the store playing each piano.  The Yamaha is bright, but not in a brittle way.  It's very clear, actually, and doesn't have any of the harshness people sometimes speak of.  The Kawai, however, had the attack so far buried in the resonance, that I found it difficult to make the piano speak clearly in some passages.  Perhaps a little voicing could help this, but all the same I prefer the Yamaha.

Thanks for all your insights. 

cheers

Doug

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert