Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: what double-career can be a good combination?  (Read 3074 times)

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
what double-career can be a good combination?
on: May 09, 2003, 02:40:45 PM
i was thinking of being a chef, or just learn how to cook... but i thought twice, i might get my fingers sliced so i will never be able to play nicely again!

what do you think is one good combination?
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline Chiyo

• PS Silver Member
Re: what double-career can be a good combination?
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2003, 10:48:34 PM

Uh, what about Pharmacist - Piaist?

(Both have P's  ;D)

I love Chopin!

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 12:42:33 AM
hehe... philosopher-pianist? pppp
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 03:32:41 AM
Klezmer and fortune teller?
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2003, 03:40:31 AM
but why a fortune teller? that's nice, but it's one of the sciences (if you could call it) in witchcraft that is not definite, precise and exact...

it would be very helpful...

BTW, what's Klezmer?

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2003, 04:41:03 AM
Do you mean pianist as a concert career or just as a hobby?
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: what double-career can be a good combination?H
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2003, 05:41:01 AM
Hi Chopinetta:

A klezmer is a wandering, penniless musician.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline tempest-Sonata

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2003, 07:37:53 AM
ohh stop it. the best combination is pianist and pianist and pianist and concert pianist and band pianist and all pianist.

okokok
THATS THE BEST.
but maybe ill end up like the best musician with out a single penny. ill die in the streets.
Look at my cute face at https://www.geocities.com/niporporot/3a.jpg
im the 5th boy from right to left in lowest lane

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2003, 07:53:34 AM
i was referring to having it as hobby of some sort that would kill all my free-time!

i like eating a lot, so i was thinking of becoming a chef, i might chop my own fingers...

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 10, 2003, 11:16:34 PM
Doctor and pianist?  Although surgeons and those in  the profession who work long and unexpected hours wouldn't have much time to practice the piano...
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline ned

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2003, 02:06:09 AM
RachFan. Excellent. Maybe a pianist-shnorrer - or maybe it all adds up to the same thing.
Nedke

Offline ned

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2003, 04:31:57 AM
If you guys are serious about this question check out the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition for amateurs which has taken place a couple of times already. You will see lawyers, doctors, flight attendants, massage therapists, electrical engneers, math professors, etc. playing big works like the Prokofiev Eighth Sonata, Liszt Sonata. The contestants have to be over 35 and cannot earn their living from playing or teaching piano. What they do is really impressive.

Offline S.Peterson

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2003, 04:32:47 AM
I guess if you always look at the what ifs then we would have to hole up in a room somewhere because you can get hurt crossing the street. ::) We can break our necks and be paralized from the neck down. The thing to remember, within reason, is to do what you love and want, but to use common sense.
If you want to become a chef Chopinetta, then I say go for it if that's what would make you happy. ;) Don't spend too much time thinking about what could happen. I know from experience that you can cut yourself with a knife even have stitches and yet still have a carreer in piano.
Anyway, I've prattled on way to long as usual. Hope you find what you want to do. :)
Cheers,
Sara

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 11, 2003, 04:51:35 AM
well, you've got one good point there Sarah!

read on this one! an inspiring story of a pianist and writer!

https://www.joetownley.com/surf.html

joe townley is here in piano forums but i don't know his nick. hello joe, you have inspired me!

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 11, 2003, 05:06:04 AM
Wow, what an inspiring story!  This has certainly inspired me as well!

Offline S.Peterson

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 11, 2003, 05:07:31 AM
It certainly was in inspiration. Thanks for sharing this with us Chopinetta.
Sara

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: May 11, 2003, 05:36:55 AM
and don't forget the videos of chopin's etude no. 4 op10 and the scherzos 1 and two and rachmaninoff stuff!

Offline olympia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: May 17, 2003, 06:37:26 AM
How about pianist, teacher,real estate agent, writer, opera singer,painter!  I always find someway to get into one of the things i like to do.  some times I think i should just stop doing some of the things i do to concentrate on one of them.  But then I always get drawn to one or the other again.  It is like having a bunch of lovers that you have to divide your time about since you cannot be with them all at once.!!  It can be rather confusing sometimes, but I am always into expanding my potential and interested to see what else I can do! :-/
Merry Music Making!

Olympia

Come visit us at www.olympiamusicworld.com.
We have instructional books and videos to help you play the piano!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert