Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: LTCL (Trinity) marking verus ARCT (RCM) marking  (Read 3724 times)

Offline amyesler

• PS Silver Member
LTCL (Trinity) marking verus ARCT (RCM) marking
on: April 13, 2005, 12:23:04 PM
Has anyone taken both a LTCL or something like it and a ARCT exam? Could you tell me how Trinity's difficulty in marking compares with RCM's? Is it easier or more difficult?

Offline keys

• PS Silver Member
Re: LTCL (Trinity) marking verus ARCT (RCM) marking
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 03:45:07 PM
A friend of mine played his ARCT and LTCL in the same year using the same repertoire. I believe that the LTCL is a little tougher to pass.

Offline rshillen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 05:33:19 PM
What does the acronym ARCT stand for. I've heard of ARCM and LTCL and LRAM but never ARCT. Can someone please enlighten me?

Offline IanT

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 08:26:48 PM
The LTCL marking scheme is quite different because the structure of the exam is quite different.  You only have to play three pieces plus do some sightreading.  You also get graded on your spoken introduction to the pieces.

The marks are allotted 40/20/20 to the three pieces with 10 marks for the spoken introductions.  The pass mark is 50% with a distinction awarded at 75% so the marks are a bit lower than the ARCT.

I think the standard required is a fairly smooth progression from the ARCT.  Of course there are no easy pieces on the syllabus!  The sightreading is fairly challenging so you might want to practice that.  The spoken intros are really fairly easy.  You can read from notes as long as you're not reading verbatim and they're very short.

If you've done an ARCT and survived it then the LTCL is actually easier from the stress point-of-view - fewer pieces and you don't have to play them from memory.

Ian

Offline keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 11:20:25 PM
What does the acronym ARCT stand for. I've heard of ARCM and LTCL and LRAM but never ARCT. Can someone please enlighten me?

Associate of the Royal Conservatory of Toronto

Offline fred smalls

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 08:24:29 PM
I've always been under the impression that LTCL is easier than ARCT. Not sure why...

Also, it's probably time for ARCT to be changed to ARCM because is not called the Royal Conservatory of Toronto anymore...

BTW: Does anyone know if RCM is coming out with a new piano syllabus anytime soon?
Medtner is my god.

Offline possom46

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 10:40:12 PM
I'm taking the LTCL (recital) in July, will post how I get on (if I haven't given up!). Trinity have just revised their syllabus for diplomas (about 6 months ago here, UK). The ABRSM diplomas look good as well. I picked Trinity because my teacher is the representative!!!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert