Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Upright or digital, free or expensive?  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Smash

• PS Silver Member
Upright or digital, free or expensive?
on: April 19, 2005, 01:54:47 PM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I really like singing and I have done that for a couple of years, and sometimes I play a little bit keyboard to get some music to sing to.

I have a Casio CTK 571 or something and I really dont like playing on it anymore. I want the feel of a real piano. I would like to buy an acoustic piano but one of my friends tell me not to because of these reasons:

"Much more expensive"
"Cant be moved easily, if you wanna play on a gig or so"
"No functions, like transpose and stuff."

Is there any digital piano that feels like a real piano, and will it be cheaper to buy one of those? I also see "Free piano if you come and get it" in the ads all the time. Are those not worth getting? I know you cant tell what kind of piano it is but, can the pianos be so crap so its not even worth getting and tune it?

Another question is, if somone with perfect pitch hears a digital piano play a tone, will he think that it sounds a little bit false if he has been hearing an acoustic piano while developing his perfect pitch? (This question maybe is a little bit strange, he but answer if u get what I mean :))

At first, I had decided to just buy a piano, but now I have so many different choices to take...
*Digital Piano
*Digital Synth
*Acoustic Piano (upright)
*Grand Piano
*Free piano from ads (hehe)

IŽd really dont wanna spend more than like $2000 or something. Most important is that you gotta have power in the hands to play it. I dont want to drop a little candy on the keyboard and it starts to play because its so sensitive, like my Casio.

Sorry for stupid methaphors or language. English is not my primary language, hehe :)

Thanks
/Niklas

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Re: Upright or digital, free or expensive?
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 03:11:59 PM
Take an upright piano. A grand is way too expensive, and there isn't a single digital piano out there with the feeling and touch of a real acoustic one.

Offline ghostclaws

• PS Silver Member
Re: Upright or digital, free or expensive?
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 04:38:10 PM
$2000 is a very limited budget for a decent acoustic. I think you have to look for a used upright...even then I think there might only be slim pickings at piano dealers. You might have to look for a private sale (expect to provide moving cost for that yourself which can add to the cost)

However, before doing that, you have to come to a decision what you want this new instrument for.
Are you using it strictly for comping your singing? Do you need something for "gigging"? Or are you trying to improve your piano playing skills...lessons etc?

No current digital piano action can fully imitate a good acoustic action, period.
I have played on a Yamaha P250 which has the "graded hammer" action and it's a top-notch stage piano. The piano samples are quite realistic as well. It probably goes around the $2K plus range. Heavy sucker though,  weighs I think 80 lbs. It's somewhat portable. Not quite a full synth but does have a wide palette of other sounds. Another choice is the RD700SX by Roland. The piano samples are darker and the action somewhat heavier than the P250. I think it's lighter and also somewhat less expensive. Well, at least none of these "piano"s will play when you drop a candy on the keys...oh, unless you drop a whole box full, box and all!

As to your "perfect pitch" question...I assume what you mean is if someone can tell it's a digital when they hear it. As I said, something like the P250 has very good samples and on casual listening and in an ensemble situation (where most of these types of keyboards are played), I am sure you won't be able to tell. If you sit down and go up and down the keyboard listening to transitions, decay, resonance etc, a good ear can definitely tell the difference. That said, I'd rather play a digital like the P250 than some poorly designed acoustic piano, period! Some acoustic pianos can sound pretty crappy!

Lastly, on freebies from ads. Tuning is a concern...is the piano even tunable (ie can it stay in tune). Obviously, in ideal situation, you should get a trained tech to go with you and check the free piano out to see how much it would take to bring to piano to a reasonable playable shape. Of course, each time you do that, you probably have to spend $100 or so. That could really add up if you keep coming up against junk.
I know all good things in life are free...OTOH, there is usually no free lunch in life!
With pianos, I would probably think the latter holds more truth.

Good luck!

GC

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert