Piano Forum

Rachmaninoff’s Complete Piano Works – Now on Piano Street
Piano Street celebrates Rachmaninoff’s 150-year anniversary by providing digital sheet music for his complete piano works. Browse the new scores and immerse yourself in a world of technical fireworks, profound emotion, and a uniquely rich harmonic language! Read more >>

Topic: piano pieces, not SONGS!!!!  (Read 7004 times)

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Re: piano pieces, not SONGS!!!!
Reply #50 on: July 02, 2004, 02:35:15 AM

I am a singer, and I must interject. "Lied" is the singular form of "Lieder." Lied means song, and lieder means songs.

Thank you.

I stand corrected.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Spatula

Reply #51 on: July 02, 2004, 09:12:54 PM
When I played Fantasie-Impromptu my chicken called it a song and therefore it is one. Period!!!

Your Chicken?  ???

Btw, calling a piece a song is the same as calling a tree a flower, because they might share the same characteristics (both are "carbon based plants"), but are in no means the same thing.  

How about these other phrases to describe a piece:

repretoire (can be used for "song" too)
number
selection(s)
queue
work
composition
opus

:P

Spatula

Reply #52 on: July 02, 2004, 09:15:33 PM
Oh, and on top of that, my dad calls the piano keys, "buttons"  ::)

Offline Ian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #53 on: July 02, 2004, 11:27:47 PM
I know this is not a very distinguished start to my participation on this board, but I would like to suggest that things could be worse. ‘Songs’ could be called tracks, and a programme could be a playlist.

Regards,  Ian
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert