Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Revolutionary Etude  (Read 7529 times)

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Revolutionary Etude
on: May 13, 2003, 02:10:35 AM
Here's a question for you. In every recording I have heard of Fantasie Impromptu in the measures where you accent a 16th note on every beat. It gives the effect of quarter notes with the bass flying like crazy. Shouldn't the same effect be produced in parts of Revolutionary Etude? I haven't heard it played this way, but was thinking that it should be done the same way.

BoliverAllmon

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Re: Revolutionary Etude
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 05:13:16 AM
i don't think so. it's just like playing a scale, accenting a note every 4 notes...
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 06:20:55 PM
The same goes for FI, you accent every four notes. HOw would one know the difference when to make the accent more noticeable or not?

BoliverAllmon

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 04:08:26 AM

Do you accent some notes in the left hand of the Revolutionary ? I don't think I do. I can think of only one place offhand. I usually go for a smooth, sweeping effect.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Reoreo111

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 05:33:31 AM
I have played this piece for several competitions and have won $350 in award money with it.  I accent each quarter note beat on the third run (both hands) going down.  Accenting also helps you stay on beat.  Most recordings don't accent the first 2 runs, by i do sometimes, depending on the speed i play it.  

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2003, 12:21:41 PM
I think making those accents, when playing at the right tempo, as the hardest thing to do in the whole piece.
"The concert is me" - Franz Liszt

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 04:26:27 PM
I agree that it is hard to accent the notes and not either play the whole piece soft or accent every note. What I did was record the opening passage at a slower speed making sure to accent, even over-accent, the quarter beat note. I would then speed up the recording and it really sounds great. Something that has helped me with the accenting is to think about accenting every time your 2 finger in the left touches a key. The same goes for the right hand. This really gives a more defiant war-like feeling.

Boliverallmon

Offline Diabolos

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2003, 01:04:03 AM
Well, I didn't play this piece for quite a while, but I usually give each quarter note beats in the three first runs a slight accent; while trying to accent the other parts, watch out - it's rather important to have crescendos and decrescendos in the left hand movement - but an accent on the very first note of each might give it a nice effect.

Regards,

Offline Franz_Liszt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2003, 08:13:59 PM
I believe it is best to draw from Chopins own performance of the piece.
If I miss a day of practice, I notice it
  If I miss two days, my wife notices it
  If I miss five days the public notices it
                                       -Franz Liszt

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 26, 2003, 12:00:39 AM
Can this be done? I thought that he wasn't able to play his pieces up to his standards because of his frailty?

boliver Allmon

Offline Franz_Liszt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 26, 2003, 12:03:53 AM
 Some Performances of his own pieces was a Ballade of and an etude, the Aeolian Harp, and these were considered superhuman performances; the  first was performed 1 year before his death. So I guess he could perform his pieces quite well.
If I miss a day of practice, I notice it
  If I miss two days, my wife notices it
  If I miss five days the public notices it
                                       -Franz Liszt

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 26, 2003, 08:05:51 PM
Then how did he perform it?

Boliver Allmon

Offline amp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 28, 2003, 06:33:37 AM
Chopin was not too frail to play his pieces. He was somewhat sickly some parts in his life, but lived fairly free of dibilitating sickness. He felt he had weaknessess in finger strengh, but who doesn't? I read a book on Chopin, and it said Chopin could play his pieces with out practice. When he would perform a concert, he would practice like crazy the other pieces (Bach, Mozart) that he was performing. He was considered a strong pianst at that time.
amp

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2003, 09:21:35 AM
aha! so that's why chopin only practices for 3 hours!!!!

hey, hasn't anyone noticed anything? i'm back! i've resurrected!
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline JTownley

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2003, 07:38:12 PM
;D I noticed, Chopinetta. I noticed you were missing too.
The World is Waiting to Discover YOU!

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: June 29, 2003, 07:53:38 AM
Welcome back, Chopinetta! ;D
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: June 30, 2003, 12:18:23 PM
thanks!!! i thought you were missing as well, amee. now i know you're not!!! yehey! we're complete again.

sorry joe, i made you worry  ;)

i'm so off-topic... i apologize for being absent for 2 whole weeks!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert