Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Criteria for accepting a student  (Read 1918 times)

invisible

Criteria for accepting a student
on: April 25, 2005, 11:35:59 PM
I am going to get started teaching and I am wanting to be prepared.  I know that students are expected to interview the prospective teacher, but what about the teacher interviewing the prospective student?  What would you look for and ask (in the interview) of a prospective student?

Is there any more than they came to you, they are aware of the rules and willing to pay for the lessons and they show some kind of interest in the piano?

sincerely,
invisible

Offline abell88

• PS Silver Member
Re: Criteria for accepting a student
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 01:55:37 AM
These things may not affect whether you accept a student, but they're worth finding out, I think.

If they're young (maybe if they're old, too!), you need to find out if they can follow directions (play a simple game with them, like finding groups of 3 black keys). Do they have any problems at school (learning disability or other)? Why do they want to play, what is their favourite kind of music? Do they have any allergies or other health issues that may affect their lessons/progress? Are they aware of the commitment you expect (how much daily practice, how many days practice/week, etc.)? If they're young, are their parents willing to spend time with them (daily, at least at first)? Do they have a piano, will they be able to play it without being distracted by TV, etc.? It's a good idea to give them a simple rhythm test (copy a rhythm you clap), and to find out what music experience they have to date. (I have found that the public schools in my area vary widely in terms of the music education the kids get.)

Alice

Offline pytis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 03:47:24 AM
it agains the law to ask for disibilities in an interview you know.

Offline pytis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 03:48:29 AM

Offline Bacfokievrahms

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 07:06:20 AM
Obviously there are specific contexts in which laws apply, and I doubt the context in which invisible is conducting informal interviews is subject to laws regarding equal opportunity employment. (Because he's not interviewing anyone as a potential employer).

Offline Laurana

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 10:35:47 PM
If I can help a bit….

I hope I can give you some tips about asking the questions for interviewing your new students.
I do this – I use the 5-w-system: who-what-when-where-why?

- Make an appointment at your home or place where the lessons would be given.
Start simply by presenting yourself, telling about what you do, how long you do it etc.

- Ask the parent how did they find you, do they have a piano or are they planning to buy  one, do they have other musical experiences with other teachers (good or bad whichever) And please LET THEM TALK …

- The rule is: in 3 minutes letting them talk you know whom you are dealing with. In 10 minutes you have a student… whatever you charge ( that is usually the first Q they can think of  :-\? of$#% :P$#”!_ :-X :-[ ::)&%$_)!

- Try to talk to the child. Ask him if he/she would like to sing something for you, if they don’t,  ask him what kind of music he likes to listen to. Ask why he wants to learn playing and would he like to join your “music club” and perform for and with other kids. You will very soon know who really wants to learn playing -  kid or a parent.

- After that, start a simple test with clapping some rhythm from very simple to more complicated.  Play a tone and ask a kid to sing it. If a kid can do that you can try more notes in a row. Possibly you can try a little game like finding 3 black keys or count how many notes there are white how many black ones.. Sense their way of thinking, responding…

- Don’t be afraid there are lot of kids that can not sing but have other qualities instead. I usually experience that kids with so called good ear or “talent”?! (whatever it is) usually don’t practice much or at least not the right way. The other less musical kids work all out and sometimes have even better results. As a psychologist I studied that problem and found an explanation for this. The kids with musical potential are usually very emotional and fight with their own feelings…they like first to hear the music and than they try to copy it the same way. It usually never works in a real tempo. So they try, and try again never having the patience to stop feeling and start thinking instead. They play, they fall and rise and fall all over again. They hear the result that does not fit their expectations they tend to quit or neglect playing and practicing.

- In a contrary the other kids use more their rational side of the brain and learn from the very beginning to read, see, think and use their mind and fingers in a proper way in their own tempo. As a result  the music starts to sound and is a reward for their work.

- Statistically 1 out of 50 kids have both qualities. But keep hoping, and good luck!

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 06:21:07 PM
it agains the law to ask for disibilities in an interview you know.

What in heaven's name are you talking about? Cite the law where a piano teacher cannot ask any prospective student anything.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert