Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Teacher's words for recitals?  (Read 2156 times)

Offline ptmidwest

• PS Silver Member
Teacher's words for recitals?
on: May 04, 2005, 07:47:27 PM
What I mean is, any FRESH ideas for us teachers when we welcome and thank the audience for coming, NOT speaker's notes for a featured lecturer/performer.

The audience is largely parents, grandparents, family-of-students, and special friends.
When we have several recitals a year, well, I'm getting a little predictable... 

Thanks!  :D

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Re: Teacher's words for recitals?
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 08:50:50 PM
When we have several recitals a year, well, I'm getting a little predictable... 

My wife has a graduation party every year at her preschool.  Near as I can tell she says just about the same thing every year.  However, it is obvious it all comes from the heart.  This seems to be the most important key.  I don't think the words will be nearly as important as the thought and feeling behind them.

Just let the words come from the heart...they'll come out fine.

Jef
Don't let your music die inside you.

Offline whynot

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 01:55:04 AM
Well, as usual, I agree with Torp.  I also think maybe reading a different quote about music or art each time.  Like the last stanza from Song to St Cecilia that ends:  "and music shall untune the skies," or something by WH Auden etc.  Families come to these events with open hearts, so they're ready to be inspired.  Or a funny anecdote about one of the composers on deck-- that would relax the kids who are scared.  Good luck!   

Offline ptmidwest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 02:04:04 AM
 Yes, I agree.  The way you put it, Torp, makes it quite clear.

On the PracticeSpot site, they've been saying recital speaker's notes have been
"soon to come!" for months, and being quite lazy, I think was looking forward to a remarkable bright idea that I didn't have to work up myself.

But you are absolutely right.  And I always have good things in my heart about these kids.  They are such a joy.  And a blast.  And funny and fun.  And frustrating and infuriating.  All the good stuff, eh?

THANK YOU.

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 04:39:34 PM
They are such a joy.  And a blast.  And funny and fun.  And frustrating and infuriating.  All the good stuff, eh?

Yes, this is the good stuff.  From these last comments, you obviously "get" children.  Just remember, most adults are just big kids!  You'll do great.

The way you put it, Torp, makes it quite clear.

Well, as usual, I agree with Torp.

Wow, clarity and agreement all in the same day...perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket before my luck runs out.

btw - whynot, I think your point about reading quotes is great one.

Jef
Don't let your music die inside you.

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 11:45:14 PM
i've been surprised at my teacher's students.   here we are in college, he brings in a 13 year old that beats the pants/skirt off of most of us (especially at that age).  i suggest that you do not bring up how long each student has been playing the piano (unless absolute beginner) and focus more on the innate qualities of each student.  otherwise the younger 'bugger' will be jamming away and the older one stutterring and wishing no one had said that they have been taking piano 5 years (vs. 2)

parents often like to take pictures, as well.  and, as you probably noticed, sometimes right in the MIDDLE of a performance.  you can always say at the beginning that they must wait until applause (or performance has ended to take pictures) to avoid lapses in concentration.  also, to turn off cell phones.  (you probably have this all down pat)

i wonder too, if having the option of a recording of really good recitals (or VHS) would show the student how they are heard on stage and what they look like.  working each time on stage presence.

do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 11:55:11 PM
in terms of warming up the audience, i agree with all of the above (a little bit about the pieces to be performed, the performers, a joke or two).  one thing i have always wondered about is when a teacher apologizes ahead of time for something not being quite ready.  and, sometimes, you have the student that has a memory lapse and has to walk off stage (sometimes they never come back?)  i would always tell them ahead of time to be prepared for nerves and all, and if the worst happens - to go ahead and look at the music the teacher brings out - BUT NEVER LEAVE THE AUDIENCE.  this makes for a braver young performer, to finish what they start.  they do not need to make a big apology - just go back to playing once they get their spot.

calmness and speaking at the beginning (relaxing students and parents), and then letting the students speak for themselves during a recital is a talent.  even when things are uncomfortable.  otherwise the students don't really learn to take control themselves.
do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.

Offline ptmidwest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 01:36:32 PM
Thank you, Torp, Whynot, and pianonut.  I appreciate your posts.  So I suppose making a joke about how sorry I am that it took their kids SOOOOO long to get to this feeble point wouldn't be good.

Offline robert

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 07:09:05 PM
As a teacher, I assume you are familiar with most famous composers and their works right?
I do the easy trick. I tell a story about the composers and perhaps even the works (if there are any good stories, very often there are). It always work and as your students unlikely play the same pieces for every rectial and the audience change, your concern about repetition should not be a problem.
Download free classical piano recordings and free sheet music at Piano Society (https://pianosociety.com)

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 07:28:48 AM
dear PT,

i suppose some teachers only take the best students, but for me i had all of the lower levels (level 1-4 in mtna guidelines).  i never dropped any or referred them to other teachers no matter how 'slow' or 'fast.'  when they got to a certain level - i would then refer them, but not before.

so, i was truly serious about the comments.  the recitals i had were usually informal anyway (whereas yours may be at a recital hall - instead of home) but i tried to 'pretend' during the recital that it was a true performance experience.  i would tell them how to walk to the piano, bow, play, and stand up and bow again.  it's been a few years since i've had little ones, but i remember some being quick to learn and others really slow. 

it seems like to have to avoid 'competition' and make it a situation where everyone is rooting for each another.  even if one performer plays well, they may need help with stage presence, or another one may not play well...but has something else they do well.  getting feedback after a performance is as valuable as the performance.  i've never wanted to hear criticism of a performance RIGHT after though - so maybe at the next lesson or something (with noone listening but the student).

anyway, back to the words spoken, perhaps not just words about the music, but improvements the student HAS made in a general sense.  also, i used to think i should separate adult students from children, but in a funny way, when i have adult students who are beginners the children get great motivation from seeing that piano is hard for adults, too. 

extra stuff, like the dentist has on some days, like guessing the number of 'whatever' in a jar, lotto near the front door (and other chance  like games) also lowers the 'competition' and puts a little humor in things.  prizes could be small musical dictionary, good book on musical figure, extra pencils with musical sayings, t shirts, whatever. you could also have a business card bowl near the sign-in so you can keep a file current of addresses, telephones yourself, as well as the recital programs.  remind students to keep their programs in their scholarship folders as proof of their piano progress (even if they are informal).  in your later programs you could include parents business cards if you wanted to take extra step of xeroxing.  also, reminding parents and students at the end of recital that there are refreshments always keeps people around and mingling afterwards.  the effect is much like sports when you get levels of encouragement and appreciation for what the kids have done.     

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert