Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Piano Camps  (Read 1926 times)

Offline MzrtMusic

• PS Silver Member
Piano Camps
on: May 21, 2003, 06:30:01 AM
Has anyone out there ever tried a summer music camp? I was thinking about doing something for my students this summer. Just a day camp type of thing. Teach some music history, theory, and some intense practice/lesson times. End with a picnic and recital. I would love to hear your ideas about this, as well as any tips from people who have actually tried the "Music Camp" thing...

Thanks!

Sarah
My heart is full of many things...there are moments when I feel that speech is nothing after all.
-- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Offline xpletus

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano Camps
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 01:03:26 AM
My friend has gone to one and he loved it. This one is very good, www.fau.edu/tops

Offline Lyndall

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 11:03:42 PM
Hi.  I'm going to try 2 summer piano camps - one for my beginners (I only have 3) & one for my 2 intermediates.  I bought "Piano Camp" by June C. Montogomery (published by Alfred).  It comes in 4 levels - early elementary to early intermediate & looks like it will be GREAT.  Full of games - crossword puzzles, boards games - music theory, symbols, listening, playing etc.

I'll try to borrow some keyboards so all the kids have something to play on & might put together an ensemble at the end of the week.

My biggest problem is I also work 8-5 Mon-Fri so I'm limited to having the kids over after work every day for a week, plus one Sat. morning.  Hope they won't be too tired by the end of the day!  The books recommend 10 hrs over a week e.g. 2 hrs/day which would be ideal if you are free during the day.

Good luck.  I'd be keen to see how you get on.

8)

Offline Keynote_Players

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 12:51:27 AM
Lyndell, piano camp sounds interesting!  I've been thinking about doing this next summer.  How much are you going to charge per week?  Will this camp take the place of lessons for the month?  Just trying to get my ducks in a row before I tackle this one.

Offline lc3606

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 05:46:41 PM
I also teach evenings and weekends and I have discovered limitations related to the students' concentration and staying power.  I do not take students 10 years old or younger any later than a 6:30 pm lesson time (45 min).  I do not take students 11-13 any later than a 7:15 pm lesson time.  That leaves 8pm and later for high school or adults only.  

I based this partly on personal experience and partly on sports activities.  That is, Junior High students (12-13) have scheduled sports practices in the evening so why not lessons?

It is difficult to schedule the young students since my early evening times fill up quickly.  That leaves weekends for anyone who must reschedule.  I'm considering opening up another time slot which would mean I'd be leaving work earlier (working less than 40 hrs/week).  It's a bit scarey, but it's my ultimate goal.  To teach as a priority, and work outside the home part-time.

Offline musikgeek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 07:50:12 AM
I just wrapped up a multi-instrument and dance camp in our area.  We ran it a week at my farm.  We had local instructors as well as three guest instructors.  We had 5 recitals including the grand finale concerts.  Some students camped in my yard and others were even day camp students.  We had students ranging from 4 years of age to 60 years....some were absolute beginners.  Parents took the initiative to fundraise etc. We has students coming from 2 provinces away.  It was a great success and everyone is looking forward to next year.
We will be upgrading the website in the next couple of weeks toreflect this past week at camp.  www.musikgeek.com/honeybee.html
Shannon Andrews
CTM - Bon's-Way Piano Course
www.musikgeek.com/fastrak1.html

Offline Lyndall

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2003, 05:47:33 AM
Sarah, my camp went really well.  I only had the beginner camp with 3 kids (8-11 yrs).  The book was great but we also did an extra ensemble piece & presented it at a recital on the last day.  The kids really learned a lot, & 2 mths down the road, they've remembered stuff cause it's come up in the repertoire books & they've been able to sightread the new notes they learned as theory.  3 was a good number except that the older one caught on so much quicker than the others & tended to get bored so I had lots of old theory books for him to work in when he finished early.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert