Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: WTC Bk I Prelude and fugue in C#  (Read 1360 times)

Offline markov

• PS Silver Member
WTC Bk I Prelude and fugue in C#
on: May 06, 2005, 04:42:09 AM
For anyone who has played this piece before, or are currently playing this piece, on measure 20 hwere the main theme comes out in the middle voice on the right hand, is there an alternate fingering for the 3rd A note in that bar on the right hand? I have trouble bringing out the melody with my second and fifth finger

Any advice would be immensely appreciated ;D

Offline robert

• PS Silver Member
Re: WTC Bk I Prelude and fugue in C#
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 09:18:34 PM
For anyone who has played this piece before, or are currently playing this piece, on measure 20 hwere the main theme comes out in the middle voice on the right hand, is there an alternate fingering for the 3rd A note in that bar on the right hand? I have trouble bringing out the melody with my second and fifth finger

Any advice would be immensely appreciated ;D
I don't really follow. Are you on the 20:th bar/measure in the fugue in C#-major?
Download free classical piano recordings and free sheet music at Piano Society (https://pianosociety.com)

Offline globetrotter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 09:46:17 PM

Hi.
You probably mean the Fourth Fuge of the first book. Well, even though I haven't studied this piece, I looked my book. It suggests the following arrangement.Your right hand plays firstly three notes (re#finger1,la#f3,re#f5) and then two notes (sol#f2 and si finger1, thumb). Your left hand plays the fa## with the thumb and then lower after keeping do# with f4 proceeds: si f5, la# f4, sol# f5. At the next measure (or should I call it bar?) your left uses the thumb for la# (of the main theme) and f3 on do#. So the theme here is based on thumbs.
Else try to play the main theme (fa##, si, la#) only by your left hand thumb, that envolves some stretching of the left hand but may help. Have a go.
I hope I was of some help.

Offline markov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 03:23:01 AM
I'm sorry I mean the Third fugue, first book, in C sharp Major.

Does that clarify things a bit?

Offline globetrotter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 08:01:44 AM
Give your mail to send you this part of the my book, which I have scanned for you.

Offline robert

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 08:11:57 PM
I'm sorry I mean the Third fugue, first book, in C sharp Major.

Does that clarify things a bit?

As I suspected. The suggested fingering is 1-5, 2, 1, 2-5, 5, 1, 4, 1-3, 2-4 (right hand only). For the last two chords, I play 1-4, 3-5 which feels more natural for me. However, your pinky must be a bit fast to catch next bar's B#.
Download free classical piano recordings and free sheet music at Piano Society (https://pianosociety.com)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert