Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Going Deaf  (Read 2893 times)

Offline MzrtMusic

• PS Silver Member
Going Deaf
on: May 22, 2003, 06:10:03 AM
OK... I was in a really morbid mood recently, and starting thinking, if I were to go deaf, what is the last piece of music I would ever want to hear??? I got it down to two, Mozart's "Requiem" or Beethoven's "Symphony No. 9." I guess I would want to hear the Beethoven, just to remind me of what can be done, even when you are deaf, but it's a hard choice. What would you guys choose as the last note of music to ever hear???

Love,

Sarah
My heart is full of many things...there are moments when I feel that speech is nothing after all.
-- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Re: Going Deaf
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 09:20:52 AM
hehe this is very funny, i'd like to hear myself play any piece that goes to my head. that's it!
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 11:18:30 AM
Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody no 2 (I love that piece!) or one of the Chopin nocturnes.
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline glamfolk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 06:51:11 AM
Some Chopin, definitely.  Nocturnes Op9 #1, or Op27 #1.  Or maybe Saint-Seans.  Or Led Zeppelin.

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 12:54:56 PM
Never thought about this.... Never would want to....Isn't this sort of like "what is your one and only favorite piece, The one you wont mind listening to for the rest of your life"? I won't need to worry cos technology would find a way.... ahhh~~~~..... sorry for being so boring .. :-/....
"The concert is me" - Franz Liszt

Offline MzrtMusic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2003, 04:12:39 PM
I know that the answer to this question could change from day to day, or even from mood to mood. I just threw it out as an interesting topic. I'm not worried about going deaf, or anything. I just think about some very strange things sometimes, and as this one was music related, I thought I'd throw it out.

Love,

Sarah
My heart is full of many things...there are moments when I feel that speech is nothing after all.
-- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Offline Colette

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2003, 06:38:46 PM
it's not a strange question. i've asked my friends that question before...about music, books, art, etc. it is a hard one to answer though. i think i'd have to hear rachmaninoff playing chopin's sonata in b, horowitz playing liszt's sonata in b, gould playing bach's wtc, gieseking plaing ravel's gaspard de la nut, beethoven's 9th, vivaldi's four seasons... however,  if i could pick only one or two, i would certainly go deaf with much bitterness.

natasha

Reply #7 on: May 26, 2003, 01:56:27 AM
didnt beethoven go deaf

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 26, 2003, 02:55:47 AM
Yes he did.

Another piece I really like is La Campanella.
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 26, 2003, 09:52:59 AM
Yes, this is very interesting. But if you listen to a piece over and over again you're certainly going to get sick of it. Thanks Colette. I never knew Rachmaninoff recorded the 3rd Sonata.

And since amee brought up the La campanella, i'll add to that. It's very interesting that the audience always enjoys listening to La campanella. If a pianist plays in a concert and he did not play LC then the audience would start shouting "campanella! Campanella!"
I mean, really, Campanella and the other Liszt Etudes, in my opinion, sounds great (and im pretty sure its great fun to play) but there is not much emotional and musical meanings in it. After you play it quite often you will start to get sick of it really quickly, and there are no more stuff to discover.

But with other pieces, such as Bach's, Chopin's you will always have something new to discover, it never gets boring.
I have nothing against Liszt of course, I think he's great, and his Sonata is certainly something no one will get sick of.
It's interesting....
Sorry for the side track....

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2003, 12:20:10 PM
In the book I'm currently reading there is a paragraph related to this topic.  According to Andre Watts, Gould once told him, "Andre, you wouldn't really play a piece like La Campanella if there were no such things as live concert."  Watts said Campanella was a show piece to Gould and nothing more.

It is still such a beautiful piece though and I love listening to it! :D

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 30, 2003, 12:56:53 PM
Yeah, that's what i mean. Of course, everyone loves, including me.

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 02, 2003, 02:36:05 AM
yes, La Campanella is beautiful and show-offy a bit. i think daniel pollack played this. go to his website. https://www.danielpollack.com
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 02, 2003, 12:20:45 PM
He plays the arrangement by Busoni, i think.

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 02, 2003, 12:40:03 PM
what would happen to me if i go deaf??!! i don't want lose one of my five senses, those are the most important. if ever the 6th sense does exist... i don't want to see ghosts.. it's not a good replacement for a hearing sense!

NetherMagic

Reply #15 on: July 03, 2003, 03:27:26 AM
I'll never get bored of Chopin's Grande Polonaise Brilliante Op.22, the concerto version with all the violins and bassoons and stuff

I've listened to it 10 times in a row and also listen to it more than 2 times perday for iunno 4 months now?  And I still haven't got bored of it, its just so mesmerizing...  ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert