Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Advice for Learning Long Pieces  (Read 1771 times)

Offline nicko124

• PS Silver Member
Advice for Learning Long Pieces
on: May 06, 2005, 04:32:30 PM
Hello Everyone

In the near future i am going to be taking on some really long pieces to learn. By long pieces i mean 10 minutes +. I don't usually learn thing that are this long, i usually stick to 5-6 minute pieces as the maximum length.

I am asking for any advice for taking on long piano works that make them a different learning experience to shorter pieces. This is assuming that there are special considerations to take for long pieces.

Some of the pieces that i will be learning in the future (not in the same months) are:-

Gershwin - An American In Paris (Piano Solo)
Gershwin - Rhapsody In Blue (Piano Solo)

Grieg - Piano Concerto in A minor op.16

Liszt - Mephisto Waltz

Thanks

Nicko124

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Re: Advice for Learning Long Pieces
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 01:35:18 AM
I, too, am about to make a big leap.  I am learning 50 minutes worth of music this summer, and resurrecting 50 minutes of other music I have already learned.

My advice would be to memorize first (if needed, at a slower tempo).  Then work on bringing it slowly up to speed, and focus on technically difficult sections first, so that by the time you finish, you will have them perfected.

I actually stopped learning Mephisto Waltz because I will be taking on this music during the summer.

With Mephisto Waltz, remember to stay light, do NOT be tense, and trust me, you will be tempted.

The opening section is easier with some wrist involved, and the jumping octaves, to me, are easier with a higher wrist, and DEFINITELY group the jumping octaves in different formations, think of them from different angles, that's what helped me. 

Whenever you have rapid 16th note runs, try playing the 1st note, then the 1st + 2nd (atempo), 1st + 2nd + 3rd, etc until you are comfortable.

If you ever need any advice on Mephisto, please feel free to message me.

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 03:57:36 AM
remember to keep a lose wrist with the octaves so as to avoid injury
Christians aren't perfect; just forgiven.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 11:20:01 AM
Make a mental roadmap for your piece.   

Learn in sections. 

Practice sections in random order. 

Don't get used to practicing the entire piece from beginning to end, without being able to stop and recover at points in the middle.  This is essential for the security of the piece.  If you stumble in your performance, you'll know how to get back on your feet. 

You should be able start from any section in the middle of the piece.  This is where you need your mental roadmap.  If you have your road map you know where things go and in what order. 

Practice backwards!!!!! by section and phrase, from last bar to first.   Seriously.  This in a tremndous contribution to the piece's stability and security.  Practicing backwards emphasizes material that comes next rather than what has just passed.  If you stumble in performance, you won't freeze worrying about the current section, you just simply go on to the next section. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert