Piano Forum

A Sudden Chat with Paul Lewis about Beethoven & Schubert
Substituting for the suddenly indisposed Janine Jensen, pianist Paul Lewis shares his ideas on his global Schubert project, classical repertoire focus and views on titans Beethoven vs. Schubert. Read more >>

Topic: Mendelssohn - Songs Without Words Op.19 N.4  (Read 9922 times)

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Mendelssohn - Songs Without Words Op.19 N.4
on: May 09, 2005, 08:20:48 AM
New version at reply #16
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline hodi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mendelssohn - Songs Without Words Op.19 N.4
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 12:49:41 PM
what a beautiful melody, u play it very emotionally.. but sometimes too loud, maybe u tried to create a contrast

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 01:40:02 PM
I really like this piece. congrats on learning it.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 09:17:58 PM
I don't agree that this was ever too loud as far as dynamic contrast goes.  It could even be louder in some areas in my opinion (I am not sure how the recording equipment would handle).

Overall I am impressed with your sensitivity and attention to detail.  How long have you been playing?  How long have you been working on this piece?

Thanks for sharing with us, quite beautiful.

m1469
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline rafant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 02:35:39 PM
I've heard the complete cycle of 'Songs without Words' many times, recorded by Barenboim, and I didn't have realized that this piece was so beautiful. It's you merit.
Thank you. I liked your round, solid chords and the delicacy of the more animated segments. Fine time hearing it. Congratulations!

Offline OlegB

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 05:19:25 PM
It should be faster no?

Offline milkcarton08

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 04:13:10 PM
waoh this was really good! i liked the dynamics, the only thing i can say is that on those amajor chords in m4, and at the end, i think the silence would say more if you didn't hold them,

i just think you should try that out,

- michael

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 08:03:59 AM
Sounds good, dude!

How did you record it?  Sounds like there's a hum at about 60 hz...
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline dreamplaying

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 08:37:07 PM
Good Work. Nevetheless, it needs to be played in a faster tempo...it sounds like an adagio....more speed and fluency, and more control of the pedal.

On the other hand good phrases making and musicality

congratulations, go on.

Offline Nana_Ama

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 10:05:54 PM
I really like this and now I want to learn it!   :)
I scare people; people scare me; it's a mutual thing!!!

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 06:27:10 AM
Well thanks all for your kind comments.

About speed I wouldn't say it "should" be faster (I heard some recordings that are way slower than this), but yes it could and my usual speed is a little bit higher than this but well, it depends on my mood ya know  ;D.
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline eins

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 06:59:18 AM
Thank you so much for posting this. About five years ago, my ex used to play this for me and it is my favorite of all her repertoire. That was 5 years ago.

When I bought a piano and started learning 4 months ago, I was on the lookout for this piece (but couldn't remember name or details). Your post brought it all back.

Now, after many weeks, I have memorized the first five bars. Don't ask me to play them fluently, but I'm happy I can produce something that reminds me of what it should be like.

Which parts did you find to be the hardest to master? I know this piece is way, way too advanced for me, but I want to know if the center part is even harder, before I dare to approach it.

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 07:07:56 AM
Thank you so much for posting this. About five years ago, my ex used to play this for me and it is my favorite of all her repertoire. That was 5 years ago.

When I bought a piano and started learning 4 months ago, I was on the lookout for this piece (but couldn't remember name or details). Your post brought it all back.

Now, after many weeks, I have memorized the first five bars. Don't ask me to play them fluently, but I'm happy I can produce something that reminds me of what it should be like.

Which parts did you find to be the hardest to master? I know this piece is way, way too advanced for me, but I want to know if the center part is even harder, before I dare to approach it.

Well it's wonderful to be part of such a nice story (Well is it really nice ? You say it's your "ex"  ;) )

I started learning this piece after about 4 or 5 months of piano too, but actually I'm not a genuine beginner : I had basic lessons as a child and I used to play the guitar for 30 years...

Anyway... The piece is not too hard, arguably the easiest from Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words. The first measures are probably the most challenging. The middle part is not too hard technically but it's very easy to miss some harmonic details, so read the score carefully. You might have some difficulty with some LH leaps from mm 15 to 17. The grace note at bar 11 is a little bit tricky as well. But nothing that you couldn't overcome with proper Hands Separate practice. And be careful about pedal control.

Hope this helps.

Some day, soon :P ; when I have the courage, I'll make the effort of re-record it and post a better execution.

Samson François

Offline eins

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 07:25:16 AM
thanks for the encouraging answer. You talk about pedal work. My music doesn't indicate any pedal action. Do you have a pdf or something you could email me or point me to? Using the pedal might make it even harder (for me) but also easier because sustaining certain notes will require less finger stretching.

BTW, the original story has a happy end. I'm over the divorce and back on good terms with my ex. Actually, we were never on bad terms, just on no terms.

Best

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 07:44:23 AM
Well actually, there's no edition that I know of this score which has pedal markings. And maybe it's a good idea to learn it first without pedal for the reason you mentionned  ;D. Learn the notes first, and try to have the best legato you can get without pedal. When you're done, I'll give you my suggested pedalling which is quite simple to explain but maybe not so obvious to realize at your stage.

Samson François

Offline grazioso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 04:11:20 PM
hey,
nice piece and you play it well.......for me it needs a bit more pedal and a more legato melody line, but the phrasing is cool and chords are generally well voiced

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 10:06:31 AM
Here's the today take.

Samson François
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert