Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Scarlatti - Sonata in G  (Read 4196 times)

Offline Aniam

• PS Silver Member
Scarlatti - Sonata in G
on: May 09, 2005, 05:17:03 PM
I like this piece a lot - unfortunately the recording is from before I found out how much I liked it, but I'm too lazy to make a new one.  ;D

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scarlatti - Sonata in G
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 10:02:21 PM
I am not sure you are wanting comments, but apparently I am going ahead and commenting anyway. 

First, it seems apparent to me that you enjoy this, so even if you were not conscious of it at the time, I can hear you having fun all the same and as a result, it is enjoyable for the listener as well.  I am impressed with your creativity and your ability to follow through with and articulate your creative ideas.  You have a wonderful sense of control. 

I am interested to know and just curious if you have created a story of some sort for this piece?  If so, would you be willing to share snippets of it?

Thanks for sharing with us.  If you feel you have more to express now, would you fight the laziness and make another recording?  Inquiring minds want to know!

m1469
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline minimozart007

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 01:17:34 AM
very well articulated.  I'm a Baroque freak, and I must say that your ornamentation is exquisite.  Did you pedal near the end of the piece?
You need more than a piano, two hands and a brain to play music.  You also need hot sauce.

Offline Aniam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 06:14:04 AM
Hey, glad you enjoyed it. Yes, I do pedal a bit at the end and a couple of times at similar points.

I don't have an entire story to fit the whole thing, mainly just pictures that I think of at various points. For instance, at the beginning I generally try to think of someone making a very happy (and loud) announcement. There are parts where I also think of various groups dancing. Generally it's peasants, hehe, although there's one part where I switch to nobles.

When I got the piece to this level I got a bit bored of it, and it lost spontaneity. It was only a bit later that I got a break through and could really feel happy everytime I played it, and as if the ideas were coming naturally instead of thought out carefully and pedantically beforehand. Now I'm waiting for a similar break through in my Schubert but have no idea really how to get it to come.  *g*
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert