Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: students who don't practice  (Read 3422 times)

Offline princess

• PS Silver Member
students who don't practice
on: May 27, 2003, 05:28:19 AM
okay, i'm one of those teachers always pushing my students to practice and i get really uptight when they don't practice and take me seriously....how do you guys motivate your students to practice and what do you do for the classes that your student has practiced? in other words, how do you "waste" the time? do you allow the student to just practice whatever you assigned last class or teach new material even though you know they're not gonna practice?

Offline kilimanjaro

• PS Silver Member
Re: students who don't practice
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 04:44:36 PM
Being a student, I can tell you one thing - Try to teach them songs that they like.  Unfortunately, this might not be possible if you are following a strict regimen of completing a book such as Alfred's.

I typically practice about 2hrs per week + my half hour class.  However, this past week, we finally reached a good song (Greensleeves) in my Alfred's Adult Beginner Book 1, and I am on pace to practice 4hrs this week!  To date, all the songs have been very basic, and the relatively difficult ones that start towards the end of the book are all ones I have never heard or don't like (e.g., Little Brown Jug!).

So the point is that for some students, you might want to change your typical method of regimental training if they are bored to practice.

Offline mtm

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 04:54:57 PM
I think everyone out there has a lot of experience with this . .  . Personally, I think that this is something that should be discussed when a student first begins their lessons with a teacher.  I tell the student and the parents that if I notice that they haven't practiced, I may just stop the lesson and send them home . . . .Chronic problems result in my not continuing with them.  But, generally, I try to keep them motivated by varying types of music---along with their method books, I use some Disney or other music that might interest them.  I tell them, they must first play their method book, then, we'll get to the other stuff--only if the other was practiced.
I also use in studio competitions--maybe over six weeks time and according to age and level, I keep a chart of how many songs have passed and then award a first, second and third place tiny trophy--and are they thrilled!  
Some kids simply need a few stickers each week and are very motivated with that----OTHERS, well, I have them do theory drills--writing out rhythm, scales, transposing---this really works for the tougher cases.  I think they actually prefer to pracitce their music at their lessons, but I try to take it a step further with writing exercises.  I generally only have to do this once or twice and then they get their practicing back on track. ;D
I also find that recitals are great for getting them to practice.  I just had one this past week-end and the ones I was most worried about did very well . ..
Hope this helps. :)

Offline george

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 05:29:58 AM
here's some ideas for practicing:
 write down exactly what and how you want your students to practice....some students need structure for practicing so I actually set up a schedule with them the first lesson. for example ,on mondays I'll practice at this time ect.. their parents respond well..and sometimes thank you for putting their kids on a schedule...have a group lesson every six weeks..the students will play more knowing they have to  play in front of their peers..i also give them snacks and run theory and ear training drills by level...they love it and can't wait for the next one...finally i've actually given out prizes for three pieces memorized..for example pencils, erasers, notepads with notation on it....good luck and have fun

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 02:50:16 AM
yes. that one is really fun! great idea!
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline Bosendorfer_214

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 11:26:47 PM
I am a student... so maybe I can help you find the answer that you are looking for.  I will be 15 in a bout 6 weeks.  I practice for about 2 hrs. a day.  My goal in life is to become a concert pianist.
       It is important for the student to like the piece that they are supposed to be learning.  I understand that that this is a bit more difficult with younger an more inexperienced players.  I would recoment that you play for them the pieces that you will let them learn, and let them decide for themselves which piece they like.  I find that I learn quickest and best when I choose the piece.  i.e.-  I recently performed the TEMPEST SONATA by Beethoven.  I choose this piece and it took roughly a month and a half to learn and another to bring it to where I am comfortable.  Needless to say, I am still working on it.  I find that the same thing happens when I choose Chopin Etudes.    

All of the answers lie within the student.  They just need to be found.  

Good luck, I am sure you will be just fine.
Pianists are like firecrackers, they blow up sooner or later.

Offline musicdenise

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 03, 2003, 04:42:36 AM
Hi,
Doing a song that a student likes is always great.  Being a teacher, you can't always do that, because part of piano lessons is learning that sometimes you have to learn a song that you just don't feel like learning.  That's why the great pianists are so disciplined.  I find that throwing in a fun song on a regular basis keeps them interested.  When they start, I ask them what a few of their favorite songs are.  That gives me an idea of what genre to look for, such as popular, classical, jazz, rock.... I like to take a short break from the method lesson book when it seems they are falling off pace or after they've completed a lesson book.  The summer is a good time to do this too.  I use the Faber and Faber series and they make it so easy to do this because they have a whole set of books that are just for this purpose and for every level!  They have popular, classical, jazz, rock and roll, children's song, hymns.  Have them pick the book they like.  They don't even have to do all the songs.  Just spend a month or so on it and then get back into learning new things.  You could even have all your students take their "break" at the same time and then have them each pick their favorite song from their book and have a mini-recital with everyone.  Every student is different, you just have to ask the questions and they will answer.  "Did you like that song?"  They will be honest with you.  I had a student walk in and the first thing out of her mouth was, "You know that song you gave me?  I hate it!"  She's never like that, so I took a long look at the song and decided it wasn't worth it and skipped it.  Show them that you enjoying playing and want them to enjoy playing.  They will see it, understand it and respond.

Always have fun!
Denise <><

Offline roman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2003, 01:40:13 PM
I think in the world of Music, or Piano for that, the best motivation for a student is that he is doing this for his own good, and there is no chance in the universe, that it will hurt him.

I'm a student still, but I've run into very many people, who always tell me that how they wish that they never quit Piano, how they wish they continued playing.

I practice 2 hours, MINIMUM each day.  I have to say I'm totally shocked that some people practice 2 hours/week.  I'm now trying to increase my playing to 4 hours per day.  But if a students has no interest/motivation, do not push him/her to play, because when he/she realizes that you need to practice and that this will benefit, then it might be too late.

My teacher is a professional, I consider him and I'm absolutely sure he's the best in the world.  He's an old 60 year old man, but all his life he's been in music, and thank God he's been able to pass down his talent and techniques to me.

:)

Offline vanguard99

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2003, 06:09:03 PM
This year I am going to try a "pass card.".   I will give the student 1 or 2 such cards, depending upon age, at the beginning of the year.  He can turn it in for any piece that is absolutey disliked and I will assign a different work!   This should allow the student some choice, but not so much that we get off track.  

My normal format is to give a student a choice of pieces as a reward after completing 3 works of my choice.  Summer students can choose some extra 'fun' songs.

I try to instill in my students that music lessons are a partnership between the teacher and student -- to have them think of me as a coach and not a judge.  This fosters a mindset that the responsibility runs both ways.  I have found, however, that by the 13-14 year old range, if a student is not practicing and not internally motivated beyond a popular song once in the year, I will no longer teach that child.  It is mentally and emotionally draining to me to try and teach a child that just does not want to learn--but I will try my best until I realize nothing I've tried will work at this point in time for this student.   Younger students I find easier to motivate and can ultimately find a source of inspiration for them.  

Offline tomingram

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 16, 2003, 03:06:58 AM
I also, am a student, and in the past, did have a very hard time practicing.  Finally, I suddenly found the passion of playing piano, and did practice.  I can tell you as a student, that you don't want to push the students too hard, because that will just lead to quitting.  What solved my practicing problem was the piece Fur Elise.  I loved this song from the moment I heard it, and I practiced and practiced.  Just try out different pieces, and find several that the student likes, and they will want to practice that piece, and soon other pieces.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime isn't enough for music."
S. Rachmoninov

Offline Alison

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 19, 2003, 08:09:11 AM
I am a 17-year-old student teacher and teacher 11 students.  I do have practicing problems with a few of them.  Yes, the biggest problems seem to be when the child does not like the song and I really thought the pass card suggestion was great!  My piano teacher gives out an award for the best practicer every year and I was also going to try that as a motivation.  I teach from Faber and Faber.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Offline julibug

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2003, 07:50:04 PM
I agree with Denise - the Faber and Faber books are great to supplement the other books I use.  I also like that pass card idea.  I may try that.  Most of my students practice enough to move through the books, but they could all use more practice.  I do have one student who does not have any support at home.  Her grandmother brings her to lessons and pays for them.  If she ever gets any practice, it is at her grandmother's house.  So, she is moving very slowly through the books.  She is progessing, though, and has recently shown more excitment at her lessons.  I had considered dropping her not long ago, but I've decided not go give up.  Even if she isn't able to work on her music much outside of lessons, I believe the 30 minutes she spends with me each week is benefitting her.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert