Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Where do you study and what do you think about your school?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline luiszt

• PS Silver Member
Thanks for your time.

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
west chester university.  the classes are small.  the teachers are superb.  and, it is mentally very challenging work.  the last class i took, i obtained a booklet from the instructor as to 'how to write a research paper.'  without this, i would be at a loss for any sort of technical writing whatsoever.  he went above and beyond the call of duty to help us.  despite the tremendous amount of catching up i am doing writing-wise (plus research homework) i enjoy the tiredness.  this semester could kill a person like me.  anyway, i have learned to go directly to the source (basically to the composer's own letters, music, writing) for the most of your research.  and, then other people living at the time.  things get so convoluted the more time elapses that you aren't dealing with facts in many papers.

another thing i like is that every so often they take a bus into philly for a concert here and there, or into nyc for a trip to the steinway factory or steinway hall.  i would never have taken that trip on my own!  AND, there are many trips scheduled over the summers to various locations.  Austria is one that they are doing this summer, i think.  if i was single, loaded, and no responsibilities, i would go.  the prices are probably much less than travelling alone...and way more fun - when you have instructors that know about the place, music, and sights.  dr. burton, graduate director for wcu, has gone to an incredibly lot of places.

lastly, they are building a NEW MUSIC BUILDING.  it is fantastic.  go onto the website and you might see a pic somewhere.  they will have steinways in the practice rooms.
do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert