Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: A noise I hate  (Read 2061 times)

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
A noise I hate
on: May 15, 2005, 01:01:14 PM
I HATE the noise that dampers make when brushing against the strings. It bothers me greatly. Kawais have this problem worse than other pianos. Is there any way to get rid of it?
For a good laugh, check out my posts in the audition room, and tell me exactly how terrible they are :)

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Re: A noise I hate
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 01:58:32 PM
Upright? Grand? (What model?)
New piano? Old piano (how old)?
Ever discuss this with your tuner/technician (what does he/she say) ?

Offline c18cont

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 03:13:37 PM
The best felts, I have heard(????), are quietest...

but I don't know what you have to buy to get it, nor what effect the angle on the dampers may have on it...Maybe a builder can tell us..(????)

I can say it did bother me at times, but I look at it as just an extra authentic sound now...it doesn't bother me much now.

John Cont

Offline Brian Lawson, RPT

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 03:22:17 PM
Yes, I have experienced it with Kawai grands, but not the most recent millennium models, perhaps they changed the source of felt. A tech has to trim the felt to minimize the whoosh. Or, just change the felt - it occurs with the clip felt in the mid section
Brian Lawson, RPT
South Africa
https://www.lawsonic.co.za

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 03:40:10 PM
Well, Im actually in a conservatoire and out of all the pianos, only the kawais have this problem without exception, I was meaning to talk to the school tuner-technician about it, but first want to find out if its something normal or if it can be fixed.
For a good laugh, check out my posts in the audition room, and tell me exactly how terrible they are :)

Offline c18cont

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 04:10:34 PM
WOW...

I find this of interest as the piano in question for me is a Knabe 6' ..don't know the #..a friends wife owns it.. (it is new last fall) ..., and I go over to play Mozart Sonatas..(one piano, four hands) and I noticed it right away...

It then, MUST be louder on the Knabe, or I would have heard it on other makes I have played recently, seems to me, as I am looking for a new small grand...

Thanks,   John Cont

P.S.  Everyone picks on me for going over to play with my friends wife.... :) :) (Love the cross-hand passages...)

Offline hrschlosser

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 05:21:40 PM
First I'd make sure if it is really the dampers touching the strings which make that noise. Sometimes also the damper wires make noise when going through the damper rail. In that case I have sucsessfully polished the damper wire which reduced the sound. If it really is the damper I've read a tech suggesting teflon powder on the damper felt. I have no experience with this, but I don't think the teflon powder would do any harm, in worst case this wouldn't solve the problem. So I think I would try this before I'd replace all dampers (or all damper felt).

Best regards,
Jens

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 06:48:17 PM
WOW...

I find this of interest as the piano in question for me is a Knabe 6' ..don't know the #..a friends wife owns it.. (it is new last fall) ..., and I go over to play Mozart Sonatas..(one piano, four hands) and I noticed it right away...

It then, MUST be louder on the Knabe, or I would have heard it on other makes I have played recently, seems to me, as I am looking for a new small grand...

Thanks,   John Cont

P.S.  Everyone picks on me for going over to play with my friends wife.... :) :) (Love the cross-hand passages...)

Sorry John, but I have to tease you about this (I hope is a harmless tease, as I am sure is all very clean), do you guys play any Brahms?
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline c18cont

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 07:45:57 PM
In Fact,

We have many things planned... :) and that includes Brahms. Actually, we have hardly begun looking at possibilitys... :D...

She is actually hard to grade, but was G five as a teen, and has continued on her own quite well for 30 years.  I f you have favorites, please make a suggestion.

She does prefer the more structered material like the Classical period..Don't think, for instance, she would much care for the modern idiom's.

Thanks!  John Cont
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert