Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Keyboard or Piano  (Read 2124 times)

Offline jheathma

• PS Silver Member
Keyboard or Piano
on: June 11, 2003, 05:13:14 PM
My wife and I are considering the purchase of a piano for our daughter.  However, our home is rather small and I am hesitant to bring a large, heavy musical instrument into our house.

Can people learn to play piano on an electronic keyboard?  Could anyone enlighten me to the advantages and disadvantages of this technique?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Offline pskim

• PS Silver Member
Re: Keyboard or Piano
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 05:58:52 PM
I do not recommend a keyboard if your daughter is planning on learning to play the piano.  Buy a piano.  Yamaha has a great upright piano called a silent piano.  It is a normal piano but at night you can use a headphone that you plug into the piano and will produce a digital piano sound but the touch will be the same as a normal upright piano.

I believe that this piano will be very advantageous because she will not have to bother you and your wife or the neighbors at night if she wanted to practice.  During the day, she can play the piano without the headphone and play a normal piano.  It isn't a digital keyboard (sort of).  It's just that when you plug in the headphone hammers don't hit the strings.

Offline benthepianoboy

• PS Silver Member
Re: Keyboard or Piano
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 01:58:59 AM
there are plusses and minuses in purchasing a digital piano. CHildren seem to like playing on digital piano's more than acousitcs. It will keep thier interest. an 88 key WEIGHTED digital piano is good. (hammer action keys) Technics Roland, Yamaha all make good digitals.
The big disadvantage is that it will not hold it's value like an acoustic piano.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert