Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: chopin op.10 n.1 AGAIN  (Read 1960 times)

Offline paris

• PS Silver Member
chopin op.10 n.1 AGAIN
on: June 02, 2005, 11:44:23 PM
this passed milion times,   but i've done some searching forum and didn't find what i was looking for, so...

there were several discussions about chopin etudes in general but i'm interested in this one particulary

i've been working on it for a while and using different exercizes, but i got bored with them unfortunately and some of them, which were helpful on beggining, now are not anymore  >:(

you who have played it, can you write how you worked on it, what exercizes, etc.

i find some of these very useful-   

for example start with C-G, then add another note C-G-C, then C-G-C-E...and so on, until you finish one passage. you can begin slow, and then increasing speed

another one is to cut it into sections like this  1-2-4-5 (hold and relax) 1-2-4-5
                                                                           2-4-5-1 (hold) 2-4-5-1
                                                                              4-5-1-2 (hold) 4-5-1-2  and so on...

and of corse, all the time without pedal (yay  ;)  )

all your suggestions, advices, opinions are welcome  :)
Critics! If one would be a critic, one should begin with self-criticism !
    -Franz Liszt

Offline Barbosa-piano

• PS Silver Member
Re: chopin op.10 n.1 AGAIN
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 04:17:28 AM
  Hi, I had the same technical problems in the begining, trying to get used to exercises.
I believe that the best technical exercises specifically for this Etude are presented by Alfred Cortot Edition de Travail (Work Edition). He uses the music's passages, modifies them, and goes right to the core of the technique in the piece, breaking the "technical walls" of it. The edition is in French, I am not sure if they translate it to other language. I have the original one, from 1929 (Falling apart!).  I don't think I have a way to scan it, but I'll do the best. He gives exercises such as:
C   E    C     E   
1   5     1    5                 This one is for development of extention of the hand. The hand streches from C to E on the scale above. I'll have to check the book again and see what other exercises I can find.
It's a very good piece, and I hope you enjoy practicing. I'll send another reply with more exercises if you are interested, and I'll translate them from French to English.   
Feel free to follow my music blog! themusicalcause.blogspot.com[/url]

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 06:09:42 AM
i learned that etude many many years ago, but since it's one of the few works i practised methodically, i still remember how i did it. so, i'm not saying it's the best method, i'm only saying this worked for me:

1. memorize it
2. set the metronome at 60 = half note (yes! very very slow) and play it a few times without looking at the hands.
3. gradually, line by line, increase the metronome speed, playing 3 times the whole etude without looking at the hands, until you get to 100 = quaver (is this the word? i mean, 1 quaver = 2 half notes?)
4. play alternatively: one time at 3/4 final tempo without looking at the hands, one time at full speed looking.

in terms of visual control, what helped me: looking not at the hand, but at the keys in the next 4-notes group, always looking ahead.
all the time, focus on wrist movement and on the hand being relaxed. the slightest pain in the forearm while playing this is not a fatigue sign, but a future tendinitis one!

hope this helps, it helped me get this etude in shape in less than a week.

best luck

Offline paris

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 11:37:32 AM
i found this at chopinfiles

-Franz Liszt

Offline Barbosa-piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 06:23:48 PM
 That's it. I hope it helps you, it took me a little bit of time to go through all of them, but once you get it, the best is to memorize all the variations on it. Enjoy practice!
Feel free to follow my music blog! themusicalcause.blogspot.com[/url]

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 04:40:32 AM
The most interesting way to practice this etude is to bring out the polyphonic aspect, to discover the hidden voices within.  It is not ever simply a cascade of arpeggios, beautiful though that may be.  For an initiation into the contrapuntal angle of this piece, take a look at the first etude revisited by Godowsky.

Walter Ramsey

Offline robert

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 08:21:34 PM
I believe that most people knows but as it is not written in this post...
In all of Chopin’s works, only once is there a direct reference to Bach and this is it. It is, of course, traditional to start a set of pieces with arpeggios and a standard method at the beginning of any improvisation. With this étude what we have is a very clever rewrite of Bach’s Prelude no.1 from the Well-Tempered Keyboard. Given his idolisation of Bach, it is no surprise to find Chopin’s offering so close to Bach’s Prelude in its construction, namely a single form of arpeggiation throughout and almost a complete match in terms of harmonic shape (an exemple of exception in the beginning, second bar, where Bach goes D-minor while Chopin goes F-major). One must conclude, therefore, that this reference to Bach was wholly intentional.
Download free classical piano recordings and free sheet music at Piano Society (https://pianosociety.com)

Offline Pitoui

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 09:33:52 PM
Where do you get that interesting pages paris?
Are other Etudes?

Offline paris

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 09:37:55 PM
Where do you get that interesting pages paris?
Are other Etudes?

hi!  i was searching other piano forums, and i found that 2 pages at chopinfiles i believe.  i dunno if there is such thing for another etudes; probubly is.

i think cortot edition has it, but dunno if they're available on internet

guys, thanks for replies, and keep posting if you have any interesting ways of practice this etude  :)
    -Franz Liszt

Offline redhead

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 02:12:08 AM
The cortot edition has exercises like the above for all etudes.

I got mine from https://www.hutchinsandrea.com/

Offline gorbee natcase

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 05:17:13 PM
I was wondering what it would be like if you correlated the left with the right, and got it to speed. Mental I assume
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)      What ever Bernhard said
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert